Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS I OWN A 1992 240SX HATCH...I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD TELL ME HOW I COULD FIND OUT IF I HAVE ABS/OR WHAT DO I LOOK FOR???THANX A MILL :fluffy:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i will make a question here also about ABS...... is it possible to take it out of a 91 with ABS and install it on my 92?

sorry for hijacking

·
Registered
446 Posts
All right, to find out if you have ABS... very simple, for starters, if you have ABS, there will be an "antilock" light in the series of lights under your gas gauge (will be the center light out of the five). Secondly, pop your hood, (while looking from the front of the car, behind passenger side strut tower) in the upper left hand corner, there is a decent sized unit with a bunch of hard hydraulic lines going to it, four of these lines will lead back to your brake master cylinder along the firewall. And there's always the other way to find out, but most people don't like doing this to their cars...just start rippin', slam on the brakes, and if the pedal pulsates, grinds, whatever you want to call it, then you have ABS (I would suggest doing the first two tests first).

As for swapping the ABS to another car, I'm not sure if you would want to or not, I'm sure it would take a lot of work, probably not worth it. But once again as I and many others have stated before, anything can be done w/ enough $$$$$...
Hoped this helped you guys...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
240luvr said:
All right, to find out if you have ABS... very simple, for starters, if you have ABS, there will be an "antilock" light in the series of lights under your gas gauge (will be the center light out of the five). Secondly, pop your hood, (while looking from the front of the car, behind passenger side strut tower) in the upper left hand corner, there is a decent sized unit with a bunch of hard hydraulic lines going to it, four of these lines will lead back to your brake master cylinder along the firewall. And there's always the other way to find out, but most people don't like doing this to their cars...just start rippin', slam on the brakes, and if the pedal pulsates, grinds, whatever you want to call it, then you have ABS (I would suggest doing the first two tests first).

As for swapping the ABS to another car, I'm not sure if you would want to or not, I'm sure it would take a lot of work, probably not worth it. But once again as I and many others have stated before, anything can be done w/ enough $$$$$...

thanks.......it was just a thought....oh well i really dont need ABS....i got 3 ways to brake, and quick enough!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
240luvr said:

ok i checkt the gauge cluster and no i dont have that antilock sighn...and also i checkt under the hood and theres only three lines running into the brake master cylinder the other line runs into the clutch mater cylinder...SO DO I HAVE ABS???GET BACK AT ME ASAP AND THANX GUY :thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you don't have that light then you most likely don't have it, but to double check. coming out of the brake master cylinder, four hard lines should run alont the fire wall to the passenger side of the car, into a larger unit, then four more lines run out of that... but if youd don't have the light... and the four lines that run out of your brake master cyliner, they all run to your four calipers, one doesn't run into your clutch master cylinder, you just got two of the lines mixed up when tracing them...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This Should Tell It All...

240luvr said:
If you don't have that light then you most likely don't have it, but to double check. coming out of the brake master cylinder, four hard lines should run alont the fire wall to the passenger side of the car, into a larger unit, then four more lines run out of that... but if youd don't have the light... and the four lines that run out of your brake master cyliner, they all run to your four calipers, one doesn't run into your clutch master cylinder, you just got two of the lines mixed up when tracing them...

i took some pics this morning let me know if this helps..i know i cant possibly have to brake master cylinders. :fluffy:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THE PICS

240luvr said:
OK I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST THE PICS ON THE WEBSITE MAYBE I CAN SEND THEM TO AN E-MAIL OR SOMETHING..OR IF YOU CAN TELL ME HOW TO POST THE PICS ON HERE :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
SIL-S15 said:
and also i checkt under the hood and theres only three lines running into the brake master cylinder the other line runs into the clutch mater cylinder...SO DO I HAVE ABS???GET BACK AT ME ASAP AND THANX GUY :thumbup:
No, you don't have ABS. Non-ABS brake master cylinders (BMC's) have 3 ports, and ABS ones have 2.

BTW, the ABS unit looks like this:

and sits between your passenger-side strut tower and the firewall.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Yeah, ABS are bad anyways. As anyone who lives in a snowy climate will tell you, you can stop more quickly without ABS than with them. It also adds weight, potential car problems, and leak points. Besides that, the ABS cylinder is FUGLY. I like my cleaned out engine bay.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Actually, I beg to differ when it comes to ABS, I personally love my ABS, it's saved me once or twice... in the snow, I find it great! And those pics should def. help...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think ABS is alot like HICAS, some love it others dont. find ur prefrence, i personally dont like it, but ive have had it save my ass in a car once or twice.

but in the end to each his/her own

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
True, but in snow and ice ABS doesn't help at all. An experienced driver can stop much more quickly without them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well as stated above to each his/her own, but actually when I was coming to a stop sign in the snow, I was slowed down enough and then some, and I barely touched the brakes and the ABS kicked in before I slid through it and hit someone... So it does help every now and then... But everyone has different driving preferences...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2Fass240us said:
No, you don't have ABS. Non-ABS brake master cylinders (BMC's) have 3 ports, and ABS ones have 2.

BTW, the ABS unit looks like this:

and sits between your passenger-side strut tower and the firewall.

thanx allot guy for the pics it helpt i dont have abs i guess because i dnt have that unit...and i liket your project kinda the same thing as im going through and im going for the same goals for my car. again thanx and i appreciate it :cheers:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ABS QUESTION////BRAKE QUESTION???-N-FIVE LUG

OK I WONNA DO A FIVE LUG SWAP TO MY CAR FRONT AND REAR AND www.superiornissanmotorsports.com IS SELLING IT OR I THINK IVE ALREADY BOUGHT IT IM NOT SHORE GOTTA CHECK THE PARTS SHEET LOL BUT ANYWAY IVE BEEN TOLD THAT FOR THE REAR I CAN USE S14 REAR ROTORS BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE SAME SIZE CALIPER AND THERE THE SAME SIZE ROTORS JUST WITH THE FIVE HOLES.BUT MY PROBLEM IS IN THE FRONT CONVERSION I DONT WONNA DO THE Z32 BRAKE UPGRADE I JUST NEED THE ROTORS TO BE FIVE LUG COMPATIBLE. ONE GUY TOLD ME TO DRILL THE EXTRA HOLE BUT I DUNNO ABOUT THAT I WAS THINKING IF I DID THAT I MIGHT WEAKEN THE ROTOR.
NOTE:IM GONNA USE SLOTTED AND CROSS DRILLED ROTORS AND PROLLY HWK BRAKE BAD OR AXXIS.

I WONNA KEEP THIS BRAKE PACKAGE FOR A LITTLE WHILE UNTIL I GET MY ROTORA 6PISTON CALIPER FRONT AND 4PISTON CALIPER REAR WELL THANX GUYS AND I HOPE I GET ALLOT OF HELP...LATER SILS :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
SIL-S15 said:
thanx allot guy for the pics it helpt i dont have abs i guess because i dnt have that unit...and i liket your project kinda the same thing as im going through and im going for the same goals for my car. again thanx and i appreciate it :cheers:
Yeah man, no problem. And to think some people say I'm a newb-basher... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts