Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell if your car has AB system? just curious i wanna do a tranny swap..

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you mean ABS as in Anit-Lock Braking System then that has nothing to do with a tranny swap. Second, if you wnat to find out if you have ABS...go out and do about 20-30 and slam on your brakes. You may have a bald spot on your tires (won't be that bad)...but now you'll know. I'm sure there's other ways, just this is my favorite!

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) find the ABS light when you first turn your ignition to "acc" or the "on" position. If you have ABS, you'll see the ABS idiot light.

2) pop your hood. Follow the lines from your brake booster (the big black round thing on your firewall on the driver's side of the car) and see if it goes to a silver metal box with metal brake lines coming out of it. If you have that silver metal box, that's your ABS unit.

If you are going to do what Zexel said, don't do it on pavement. If you aren't suave enough to find your ABS stuff by what I just told you, you don't want bald spots on your tires if you end up not having ABS.

Take his method to a gravel or sandy road, and slam on your brakes when you are going slower than 15 mph or so. You don't want to go careening out of control.

Oh, and ABS has nothing to do with a tranny swap.

·
Registered
547 Posts
NIsmoser - I was kidding about the ABS test. But hey it works! My dad actually did that to mine because my pedal was getting soft on me. So he took me out to this dirt covered road and did it. I dont' have any bald spots but that's how he did it. I knew I didn't have ABS...he was just seeing if my brakes would still lock up on me since my pedal was feeling soft. So if your on a dirt road or gravel (wouldn't recommend because of flying rocks/dubree [sp?]) then you can do it like that.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k of what i heard to do a tranny swap to manual, you'll have to change the driveshaft because the shaft is way smaller than the automatic shafts and the guy told me that the drive shaft is connected to your Braking system or some shit like that..??????:(

·
Registered
547 Posts
It goes like this

If any of my info is false, which it may well be...please tell me!!! Well see, only rwd cars have "driveshafts"...fwd cars have axles. These "axles" hook up to your spindles and all this other crap which rotates your wheels which makes you move. Of course anything that makes your wheels move involve your brakes...to an extent. I'm pretty sure your right, the shafts are smaller than before...but isn't the manny tranny longer and that's what makes up for the smaller shafts? I don't remember what the reason for the smaller shafts are, but there is one...believe me! Please notify me if any of this information is false, because it probably is!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im pretty sure you sound right, heheh i guess i got a memory loss of what the guy was telling me, it was axles not driveshafts, and yeah he was telling me about one is longer than the other, im getting all these things from a junkyard, oh BTW i still have a manny tranny i bought a long time ago, would it still work even though it got a little wet? maybe its kinda rusty by now, can that still be fixed? or i gotta buy a new one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts