Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend has a 00' Spec V and got into a bit of an accident a month ago. She slid in some ice, going around 10 mph down a hill into a curb, hopped the curb and destroyed the passagner side suspension and fender. not really that big of a deal, just a replacement a-arm and ball joints etc..

Anyway, this would have not happened, had she had ABS. It does not get very "wintery" here in seattle, but when it does, because of the l;ack of plows etc... it gets treacherous.

How difficult, and how costly would a ABS conversion be? I figure that you cuold probably get all the parts even teh lines for abs control, due to the fact that this is a option on the car. Is this even feasable?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
This in my opinion is not all that feasable for multiple reasons....1) If it was ice she was on, then ABS or not she was going to most likely skid (also the Spec V is not a good winter car). 2) If she is running the stock tyres, they are max performance summer tyres and offer no snow or ice traction whatsoever. 3) In snow, not having ABS is actually better...I have been told this by a few Canadian friends (they know snow) and I agree with this after playing around in the snow myself. 4) ABS is a wear item, and if one understands the idea of threshold braking, ABS will only slow your stops and it also can cost money to maintain.

As far as a conversion, I have not heard of it before but I would imagine it would be pricey. I think you can avoid the whole issue by considering getting a tyre like a studded Nokian on some 15 inch steelies. If she was infact driving the stock Continentals, that probably has contributed to the accident.

As far as a set price, I suppose only the dealer could give you a solid estimate. Considering what work is involved, I would not personally want anyone other than a Nissan certified tech doing the work. Before downgrading to ABS, I would definately look into a serious winter tyre (studable) like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 as this will have a much more profound impact on winter driving than an ABS upgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nick9871 said:
So my girlfriend has a 00' Spec V and got into a bit of an accident a month ago. She slid in some ice, going around 10 mph down a hill into a curb, hopped the curb and destroyed the passagner side suspension and fender. not really that big of a deal, just a replacement a-arm and ball joints etc..

Anyway, this would have not happened, had she had ABS. It does not get very "wintery" here in seattle, but when it does, because of the l;ack of plows etc... it gets treacherous.

How difficult, and how costly would a ABS conversion be? I figure that you cuold probably get all the parts even teh lines for abs control, due to the fact that this is a option on the car. Is this even feasable?
NickZac is right about tires and being very expensive. I acutally priced this stuff out before. But you weren't there no such thing as an '00 Spec V. First year for the Spec V was 2002. Sorry just trying to figure out if your girl has an SE maybe or really a Spec V.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It could be done, but it would be cost prohibitive. Your looking at lots of parts, lots of customization and tearing out of old stuff... you'd be better off trading it in and getting one with ABS because it would be cheaper.

Second there is no 00 spec v. The 02+ spec v's come with summer tires (Also know as crappy winter tires). Changing the tires out (or a set of steelies with winter tires) would be cheaper and work better in my opinoin.

·