Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V brand new way back and had the car for 6 months till I drove it back to the Nissan dealership and gave them the car. The car was the worst lemon I have ever owned my entire life. I owned cars that I had paid $200 for and they lasted me longer. This had evory sensor fail, cat failed, ecu failed, then the oil consumption to the point that it would be bone dry within 3 days. I said I would never buy another Nissan ever again..... well. I purchased a 2007 Honda Civic SI ..never thought id ever go Honda but I got tired of problems with Nissan. I have had the car for 2 years .. not one problem but im bored with it. Everyone hates you because you drive a Civic. I decided im trading it in, and took a look at a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 50,000 on it. Im thinking of getting this SUV but before I even think about it I would like peoples feed back.

How many times have you taken yours to a stealership for recalls and repairs ? Would you buy another ? What has gone wrong ?

I searched the internet for problems relating to the Pathfinder and only found rear shocks being a problem bottoming out. If there is anyone that can share some info on this truck to make me feel better about purchasing it or about how I shouldnt purchase it please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2005 LE and i love it..... the only issue I have had was a recall on a noisy intake just after I bought it....that's it... I'm sure people have had issues....but i have not had any that would cause me to sell it.... I also have a 2008 Versa and had a 1992 Sentra

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey fella...have you bought one yet?I'm in th UK and am considering the same!have a read of this, exploding engine Its about the navara but apparently pathfinders have the same L22 engine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Try to get all the service records. The most popular issue that I know of, is the timing chain and tensioner problem. If out of warranty, it'd cost -$1500 to repair.

Other issue is the AC lines that goes to the rear. I've heard dirt getting into the rubber that is wrapped around the aluminum lines. The dirt and aluminum tubing eventually starts rubbing making a hole. Result, entire body has to be removed to repair it.

Those are the major repairs that I remember. Other than that, it's a reliable SUV with decent power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to love my '06 but I just had my third battery installed and will be giving it back at the end of my lease next November. Two different dealerships swear it was just a faulty battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
At $1.60 a gallon, does it really matter? I have a 2005 LE and the only problem with it so far was I had to replace the fuel level sending unit. $90 part and about 4 hours later it's all fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We love our 05 LE. We have not had any major issues as of yet. Can be a bit noisy on rougher roads but not enough for us to dislike it. As far as gas mileage goes we avg about 20-22 both city driving and hwy. It's my wifes daily driver and round trip to and from work and daycare is 55 city miles daily. Some might call BS but that is what the onboard shows and our fill-up calculations are within an 1/2 mile or so. Much better than the 04 xterra we had that was a lemon in our eyes (13 mpg anytime all the time), transmission replaced @ 3000k. Had it less then a year before dumping it. Get the service records on the Pathy and enjoy the one you get. You'll like it, gobs of power and fun to drive. Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
$1.60 didn't lat long. We are at $1.45 currently. :crazy: Hopefully it stays low for a while, but it won't.

Keep the revs at or below 2ooo. That's what she tells me she does.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ummm... I'm hoping I really don't have to mention this but... gas mileage???
As much of a pain as it's been with the yearly battery issue the mileage has been surprisingly good. I average 22 to 23 mpg on the highway and 18 to 19 around town. I keep the revs low, use a full synthetic oil, a K&N air filter, and premium fuel. I also don't exceed 75 on the highway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As much of a pain as it's been with the yearly battery issue the mileage has been surprisingly good. I average 22 to 23 mpg on the highway and 18 to 19 around town. I keep the revs low, use a full synthetic oil, a K&N air filter, and premium fuel. I also don't exceed 75 on the highway.

I'm going synth next oil change and will probably try premium next fill up although I'm not sure the trade-off makes sense $ wise. I've also heard that synth in the transfers will improve mileage but I'm concerned with possible warranty troubles if I use it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm going synth next oil change and will probably try premium next fill up although I'm not sure the trade-off makes sense $ wise. I've also heard that synth in the transfers will improve mileage but I'm concerned with possible warranty troubles if I use it.
I wouldn't worry about voiding warranties with the fluids you use. 4x4's will not get stellar mileage but switching to premium fuel will grab you a few extra miles per gallon.

You can run on 87 just fine but your computer will make adjustments to compensate resulting in less power and lower mileage. If you do the math it's actually easier on your wallet to use premium fuel. Here comes the math.

My typical fill-up is 15 gallons so we'll use that as a benchmark.

87 octane - 18mpg X 15gallons = 270 miles
91 octane - 22mpg X 15gallons = 330 miles

60 miles per tank difference. On 87 you're burning 2.72 more gallons of gas than you would running 91. If you're buying 87 at $1.59/gallon those 2.72 miles are costing you $4.32. If you're spending 20 cents a gallon more for 91 then you're spending an extra $3 per tank.

It costs you $1.32 more to run on 87 octane. Not a huge amount but why would you rob yourself of better performance and range? Is it for the satisfaction of defying the premium fuel recommendation?

To me it's dumb not to run on the recommended fuel because.

Do the math next time you're at the pump and see if you're actually saving money putting the cheap stuff in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
let's see about my pathfinder

I bought my pathfinder new in 05. I got a pretty good deal on it. I have the SE with the extras like duel climate, rear air, etc. no leather.
I'll list the problems I have encountered.

1. At 1,000 miles the rear brakes were squealing. replaced the shims.
2. recall on the towing wire harness, replaced
3. had a whistling sound coming from engine. they replaced the belt and tensioner (11K miles or so). whistling didn't go away and still does to this day! Other Pathfinders that I hear idling do the same thing so I am not worrying about it. the dealership says the can't hear it. they are deaf!
4. Poor rear tire wear. Replaced at 17K miles by nissan. The next set did the same and then it the cost was on me. Changed tire brands and it has seemed to do the trick.
5. Tire sensor went bad at 40K.
6. Had that service bulletin problem with the intake rattling at the mysterious 2200 RPM. Of course, I had to tell the dealer what i found. they fixed it.
7. Belt tensioner went bad again. Replaced belt too.
8. Fuel vapor catch canister malfunction. Engine light came on for this. Replaced.
9. Battery went dead and left me stranded after 2 years (strange I don't know any battery that only lasts two years). No prior warning. Thank goodness for AAA and I was at the mall and kept the wife happy.
10. A front molding piece on the grill fell off. Thank goodness it only cost 3.00. Shocked.
11. Light came on this past fall, fuel level sending unit went bad. Everything up to this point was covered under the warranty I had. This one cost me 490.00. Ouch!

Well, this weekend I just turned over 80K miles. Even though I had all of these headaches, it seems that it has finally worked out the bugs. I change the oil religiously at 4K miles and it doesn't use a drip. The motor is strong. I do pull a large pop up camper with it, and it does great. I pulled it 3K miles to FL last year without a problem. I did change the trans fluid, transfer and differentials before the trip. Since I got the trailer, I will do it every 30K miles. Watch out for the cost of the transmission fluid. 16.00 per quart. wow. make sure to use nissan fluid. i hear reg. fluid will screw it up.

I am planning to change the spark plugs soon myself, but it looks like a pain to get to some. Anyone do it yet? I may have the most miles on a 05 pathfinder.

I am happy with the room and the power of the pathfinder and also the options.

As far as the timing chain problem, I don't think it is all of them. someone posted that if you change the oil regularly, it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as the AC tubing, it seems that alot of non us customers are having this problem or northern us customers. Would it be the salty roads that are affecting it. In here in Delaware, we don't get much snow as we used to. I don't know what is happening. Haven't had a measurable snow since I got a snowblower haha.

·
Registered
84 Posts
9. Battery went dead and left me stranded after 2 years (strange I don't know any battery that only lasts two years). No prior warning. Thank goodness for AAA and I was at the mall and kept the wife happy.
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who's had this battery problem. Not that I'm happy for your misfortune. I just got my second battery replaced recently. The first one lasted 14 months. The second one lasted just 11. The real bummer is that I had to have it towed to Nissan to get the work done under warranty. They wouldn't allow me to take the bad battery to them. Both instances were free under warranty but they were still a pain in the neck.

I'm pretty sure next winter I'll have to get it replaced again. The lease is up in November so if I can hand the keys back to Nissan before it leaves me in need of a tow. **Fingers Crossed**

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought my battery at a battery retailer. I didn't go to nissan. Sounds like those batteries are crap.
They are but I'm not about to pay out of pocket. If they want to keep paying for tows I'll let them keep doing it. That's what lemon laws are for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts