Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i realized how damn long my stock shift is, and im thinking about getting a short throw shifter... however im on a tight budget and i would like to get one of those hella cheap ebay ones

however my question is, what exactly is the difference between an ebay short shifter and a brand name one? i mean isnt it just a piece of metal? and how hard is it to install one... do you really have to jack up your car and do some stuff to underneath your car? :X

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
ekizz said:
and how hard is it to install one... do you really have to jack up your car and do some stuff to underneath your car? :X
I built my own short shifter by modifying a stock one. To get it out, I had to get to the undercarriage of the vehicle. I had to move the exhaust, and the heat shield to get the shifter arm out. To put it back in, I suppose I'd have to move the same things again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WHoa...all ya gotta do is CUT IT! All i did was cut it to the length i wanted and then threw an after market shift knob on there. Grand total for the project was 14.99 at advanced auto parts. and if you don't have a hack saw then add in that too.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
NismoSentra13 said:
WHoa...all ya gotta do is CUT IT! All i did was cut it to the length i wanted and then threw an after market shift knob on there. Grand total for the project was 14.99 at advanced auto parts. and if you don't have a hack saw then add in that too.
By "short shifter" they are not just refering to the height of the shifter itself, but also the throws.

But from the origional question, its hard to tell what exactly he is wanting to correct. The height of his shifter or the length of the throws. Most good kits are adjustable.

Cutting your shifter is not the same as installing a short throw shifter. But it will make it LOOK better. Thats about it.

·
cheese
618 Posts
don't buy a cheap ebay one, i did that and they never fit right, save a little an get a pacesetter :cheers:

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
length of the throws of course is more practical :]

im really on a tight budget, does quality of short shifter really matter that much? :X

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
um, I did cut the stock shifter, but to make the arm straight. My only problem is my ghetto welding skills. The weld point could be problematic, but absolutely NO fitment issues, since it fit in a B12 shift unit anyway. It also made it easier to move the pivot ball, which will get me my shorter throw. I agree, that cutting the shifter makes a 'short shifter', but I wanted a short throw shifter.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
oh yeah, and so far, cost is about $300. About $15 for the shifter arm from Pick n Pull, and $285 for the DC Arc/TIG welder. Get someone else to weld it (friend = free?), and you're looking at a $15 shifter + welding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts