Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a rather problematic (to say the least) 1997 Sentra GXE Auto with 58.2K miles on the clock.

Right now I am angry and frustrated because this morning, I had my Distributor Cap, Distributor Rotor, Spark Plugs, and Plug Wires Replaced by my dealer (at a deep discount), because the ever dreaded "Check Engine" Light came on, and when they used their OBII reader it showed up as "Cyl 3 Misfire".

This is not the first time it has happened. Oh no...this is about the fourth time this has happened. The first and second times, my service advisor said "if it happens again, bring it back", and he did not charge me for clearing the ECU. Third time, it gave the same error code of "Cyl 3 Misfire" So he thought it was the fuel injectors. They were replaced, courtesey of Nissan North America (I have the Security+ extended warranty). Then this past saturday, I was on my way home from work, and as I was leaving a stoplight, the car kind of surged, and the "Check Engine" Light flashed on. I took it in, and sure enough...Cylinder 3 misfired -- again. This time, they decided to replace the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. I left, my wallet feeling a little lighter, but I was glad the car was fixed. I go home, pick up my sister from school, run a few errands, and then on my way to work, my Battery and Brake lights flashed on at the same time for about a minute. I was thinking "Oh shit...I've heard of this before where the alternator fails, and the lights come on." I get to work OK, and call my dealer, and find out that my service advisor had left for the day. Shit. I took the risk of driving home, and made it (hence the reason I am posting this), and the lights came on, just leaving the parking lot, for about another 90-120 seconds. Then a little while later, they came on again...but this time for less than 15 seconds, and it flashed again a little after that, and then close to home, it comes on again for another 30 seconds. Is this some sort of bug, or is it something for me to worry about, or use as ammo for a new car?

Sorry about the long post.

-Sam

·
Driver
736 Posts
I would get the alternator checked out, but if your car isn't hard to start in the morning(because of the battery not being charged), and your lights don't dim at night, then it's probably not that. Even if it is just a bug, that's a good enough excuse to get a new car in my book:D

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caution: Venting in Progress

Oh no....it is the alternator all right. All two hundred and frickin thirty five dollars worth. I am soo pissed. My GOD I was at the goddamned dealer yesterday and spent $162.63, and now this is going to be (with labor) another 353.?? THAT IS ALMOST FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN TWO DAYS! I am sorry, but I am pissed off beyond belief. That leaves me with NO money, between these two, and my $322.00 red light ticket...thank GOD Friday is Payday. To top everything off...THEY CAN NOT GIVE ME A LOANER VEHICLE, BECAUSE THE USED CAR MANAGER IS NOT THERE TO APPROVE IT!!!!!! Wait...I just saw the owner when I walked in this morning -- why don't you ask him? he knows me, the internet sales manager (my neighbor), knows me, but he's not there...WTF?! I think in my anger and rage I am going to write to Nissan Corporate. This would not have happened if my regular service advisor was there...no...they stick me with a smooth talker who says he will move your car to the top of the line, to get it checked out in less than 30 minutes and will get back to you...oh no...I waited a little over an hour, and then he comes and says "Yes, it is your alternator." I'm not 100% sure the tech looked at my car, yes, they did move it into one of the service bays, but my hood was not propped up when I went to grab some stuff out of my car...hmmm? To sum it all up. I am angry, frustrated, hungry, and tired.

I think its time for a new car...not a new used car, but a brand new new car. Yes.

-Sam

·
Registered
327 Posts
you should ask since they miss dianosed your car the previous day to give you that amount off on the alternator and labor...talk to there service manager politly...say somthing like "since you fixed the wrong problem in the first place , by the way isnt that against the law or somthing...you should rembust me the difference, or do i need to take legal action and contact nissan corp offices to lodge a formal complant...take names of every one who touched your car and managment.."check your warrenty info to see if its still covered..you might have to call the company to find out...not to rain on your already bad day but i had a really hard time with my warrenty people...i complaned enough to get the owners attention and they replaced my tranny with a rebuild one...and all i had to pay was the 50 buck deductiable and the price for a new clucth"still fill riped off though" the should have fixed it 40k miles ago not when i threaten law suits and warrenty fraud"hang in there be persistant dont get loud or curse,and work your way up the lader of comand...hope it goes well for you.
but if you want a new car get one just be prepare for a higher payment, and watch those unessary charges"extended warrenties!!"they never own up to there duties or promises..

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, that was including a break on parts (Dealer cost), and Labor ($56/hr vs. 80/hr). I was just angry that they would not give me a loaner car to get around. My car is fixed, *but* is in the process of being prepped for sale. My parents are in agreement with me...My dad wants me to break the Nissan garage and get a Toyota Matrix, I don't want to break tradition, I personally am leaning towards an 00-01 Maxima SE, or picking up a new Sentra SE-R or Spec V.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Get a Honda, man! I've had three since '84 and NEVER had
a problem; (Toyota's good, too, but more $$$ for car, IMO).
Sounds like you got a lemon, though. I bought my Nissan
used, (I think it's a "repo" or "fleet" vehicle), and I've been
driving it for over a year with no problems, except the alt.
belt squeeking/squealing. Wait for the Civic Type R to
"arrive", though. An Acura RSX-S would be nice. WRX,
maybe. Basically, I'm in agreement with your Dad: NEVER
be loyal to any brand name that doesn't "deliver the goods".
That's why I'm loyal to Honda, because the cars I've had/(have),
work like clockwork. They may be slowass POS, comparitively,
but they were designed that way; but my Sol Si would definately
KILL my 200SX SE. An SE-R, however, would be a tough match,
I'd think. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
200SushiX should you be on a Honda forum or a nissan one, you sound like you got some problems with the nissans, which this would not be a good place to have those. Yea i would agree there are purposes for hondas, thats y everyone and their brother has one. Ive had a b13 sentra, and for what ive put it though its been more loyal to me then any of my friends hondas

·
Registered
805 Posts
SXSENIS said:
you should ask since they miss dianosed your car the previous day to give you that amount off on the alternator and labor...talk to there service manager politly...say somthing like "since you fixed the wrong problem in the first place , by the way isnt that against the law or somthing...you should rembust me the difference, or do i need to take legal action and contact nissan corp offices to lodge a formal complant...take names of every one who touched your car and managment.."check your warrenty info to see if its still covered..you might have to call the company to find out...not to rain on your already bad day but i had a really hard time with my warrenty people...i complaned enough to get the owners attention and they replaced my tranny with a rebuild one...and all i had to pay was the 50 buck deductiable and the price for a new clucth"still fill riped off though" the should have fixed it 40k miles ago not when i threaten law suits and warrenty fraud"hang in there be persistant dont get loud or curse,and work your way up the lader of comand...hope it goes well for you.
but if you want a new car get one just be prepare for a higher payment, and watch those unessary charges"extended warrenties!!"they never own up to there duties or promises..

GOOD INFO!! GET EVERYBODYS NAME AND DEPT#

If you feel your getting ripped....Which with this new (Smooth TAlker) you might be.. Go in when your guy is there. Calmly explain the WHOLE situation, and if he doesnt want to do anything. Mention "NICELY" that you need to go talk to your Lawyer about the Lemon Law, and you will have him call the dealership in a day or 2 to DISCUSS the situation.... Theyll do something to make you Happy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with 200SushiX, get a civic or accord or really any honda. Very reliable cars, relatively cheap replacement parts, and relatively easy to fix.

·
Registered
228 Posts
insanestvtop said:
200SushiX should you be on a Honda forum or a nissan one, you sound like you got some problems with the nissans, which this would not be a good place to have those. Yea i would agree there are purposes for hondas, thats y everyone and their brother has one. Ive had a b13 sentra, and for what ive put it though its been more loyal to me then any of my friends hondas
The 200SX is cool, (my first Nissan); I never dogged on
Nissan, but the guy was asking about what he should get,
and I honestly told him. And, as far as "you sound like
you got some problems with the nissans" goes: YES! How
do you stop/what causes a squeaky alt. belt? :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts