Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 1997 King cab 4x4 85K miles $4800.

Votes: 9 69.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice of two different vehicles.

1) 1997 single cab..XE 5 speed 37K original miles. 4800.00

2) 1997 4x4 king cab 5 speed with tilt/cruise 86K miles 4800.00 but I would have to drive 4 hours to get it

The single cab is like new The king cab has been used a bit with the bed and body having some dings and dents, Nothing horrible

I have to make a decision fast as these will most likely go pretty fast..

Your opinion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a choice of two different vehicles.

1) 1997 single cab..XE 5 speed 37K original miles. 4800.00

2) 1997 4x4 king cab 5 speed with tilt/cruise 86K miles 4800.00 but I would have to drive 4 hours to get it

The single cab is like new The king cab has been used a bit with the bed and body having some dings and dents, Nothing horrible

I have to make a decision fast as these will most likely go pretty fast..

Your opinion?

Thanks!

I myself have a 97 single cab, bought it with 93000 miles and now have 180000 on it without having to do a single thing to it but change the oil. I think both trucks have the four banger so I guess the discision between the 4 and 6 cylinder wouldn't apply here. So it probably all boils down to how much room up front you want . Any way you go you can't really go wrong. For the miles I would pick the single cab but thats just me. I use mine as a work truck so all I haul is myself. Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a single cab as my first truck. I've had extended cab since and I would never go back. More dry space and some room for small passengers (my kids) is what I like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've bought 2-4x4, 5-speed King Cabs in the past 3 months, a 93 and a 96. Both from Ebay. Drove the 96 2200 miles home and the 93 925 miles home. The extra roominess of the King Cab has turned me off regular cabs forever. Get tired, pull over and lay the seat back down and take a nap. Plus, a 4 hour drive with Cruise Control would be a pleasure and give you the opportunity to get familiar with all the little nits that any used vehicle is bound to have. Hop a bus or plane and go get it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On both the 93 (118k) & 96(42k) I had to replace the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft. On the 96 the rubber doughnut was completely gone and on the 93 the rubber was just ripped in 2. Surprisingly the 96 did not make any noise except at 3200 - 3700 there was a vibration that sounded like sheet metal vibrating. On the 93 there was a distinct thunk when releasing the clutch. You didn't mention which engine, 4 or 6, but if the six, 1st thing I would do is make sure the timing belt is in good condition. Otherwise I can't comment on durability as I haven't had any problems with these 2 or my 84 720 as far as the 4x4 hardware goes. Just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The owner of the 4x4 stated that he just had the clutch redone because the throw out bearing was making noise. He replaced the clutch at that time as well and the center carrier bearing. This was about 2K miles ago.

its a 97 so its a 4 cylinder. the V6 is a great motor but the 4 is bulletproof.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Simple. King Cab 4x4 without a doubt. You have the added space inside, but the 4x4 as well to aid in winter driving or trails. My little 89 gets squirrely if it comes anywhere near wet roads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go with the single cab, you can't go wrong with less miles and better gas mileage, how often would you honestly utilize the off road feature?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, i decided to go against the grain and go with the single cab. The truck was in Arizona most of its life, NO rust and in like new condition. Its an XE and I used to have one just like it.

its a second vehicle so the extra space isn't THAT big of a deal.

For some reason, the single cab 2WD's have a different shifter than all of the other models... Its angled sharper towards the seat and is incredibly precise. Sounds silly but it makes driving it a lot more enjoyable.. I can really appreciate the precision feel.

Also, the 2wd single cab is pretty quick and for some reason, I never really liked the looks of ANY extra cab, king cab, super cab truck no matter WHO makes it. They simply look out of balance and too long. Plus the extra 400 or so pounds on top of my already fat ass doesn't help.

The 4wd 97 was pretty good but Im not crazy about white on trucks. I also live in San Jose so I really have no need for 4wd and the bed and body on this one was beat up a bit. The stripes were removed at one time and Im not really sure about the maintenance record. It spent its first two years in OHIO and then the rest in RENO, NV. so even though the guy sent me a huge amount of pictures, I couldn't be sure about the dreaded rust. I hate rust...even if its just surface... I have had my fair share of it when I lived in Jersey..

If the 4wd were the bright red, I would jump on it .... :lame: I know but I love that color.

The single cab is a color that is only available onn 1997 models and its called autumn sunburst... im not crazy about the beige and brown interior so I may change that to grey if its not too big of a deal ( yeah right lol)

37K miles and it shows. Its awfully hard to pass up that low of mileage. These trucks are NOT easy to find let alone low mileage. I had a single cab about 4 years ago with 50K miles on it but had to sell it because of a job situation.... On the single cab one, if you open up the oil filler cap and look in, its virtually like new. The 4x4 was kinda dirty.

I also noticed thats its the single cabs that seem to go the farthest in mileage with many many of them hitting 200k++... I haven't seen that in a 4x4... could be wrong, not sure..

Thanks for the help, I will post pics when I can.

pete

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats on your choice. King cab or regular cab is ultimately up to the buyer on which one works best. My F150 is a regular cab. It's a full size truck of course, so the space wasn't a problem. I did miss having good room behind the seats to stow groceries. When I bought a Daihatsu Hijet minitruck, it redefined TINY little cab, and my 6'2" frame was a major squeeze. When TX yanked the title and plates, forcing me to sell it, I decided that I wanted the extra room this time around. Since you didn't need the 4x4 given your area, you cannot beat having only 37k miles. Enjoy your truck. I'm loving my 89.

·
Registered
265 Posts
King cab. There's a lot to be said for being able to recline your seat. Though you will get worse MPG with the 4x4 and tires will cost more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts