Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy i know has a B13 sentra SE-R no mods what to ever, his car has 130k miles and is an 89.

he is considering getting a Jim Wolf Tech ECU (reprogrammed for 8300 redline)

i know that is a stupid concept to raise the redline for no reason what so ever but he is honestly considering it..

do you think his engine will servive many or even one spin up to 8300RPM?
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
SuckSquishBangSLOW said:
a guy i know has a B13 sentra SE-R no mods what to ever, his car has 130k miles and is an 89.

he is considering getting a Jim Wolf Tech ECU (reprogrammed for 8300 redline)

i know that is a stupid concept to raise the redline for no reason what so ever but he is honestly considering it..

do you think his engine will servive many or even one spin up to 8300RPM?

well, for one thing, if he has a b13 and has an SR20, it's not a 1989.

for another thing, he wants to pay $600 just for a higher redline? Does he think there's magical horsepower up there just waiting to be freed up?

tell him to mod the car first before wasting money like that.
 

·
Soggy GloryHoler
Joined
·
792 Posts
chimmike said:
well, for one thing, if he has a b13 and has an SR20, it's not a 1989.

for another thing, he wants to pay $600 just for a higher redline? Does he think there's magical horsepower up there just waiting to be freed up?

tell him to mod the car first before wasting money like that.
holy crap i just said the same exact thing as you, i didnt even see your post though, huh....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chimmike said:
well, for one thing, if he has a b13 and has an SR20, it's not a 1989.

for another thing, he wants to pay $600 just for a higher redline? Does he think there's magical horsepower up there just waiting to be freed up?

tell him to mod the car first before wasting money like that.
oh alright maybe its a 91 or something idk he says its the first year they were out, i wasnt sure.. i know little about nissans and years haha

yeah i know its a waste of money but he's such a dick and refuses to except he is wrong about absolutely everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just want an honest opinion of what real sentra and nissan guys think will happen please

(you have given me some things to say to him to make him feel stupid) hahaha
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
nothing will happen. stock cams are lousy at higher rpm. he'll prolly lose power up top. (I.E the powerband will fall off after stock redline because stock cams aren't meant to rev that high)

he can spend $600 on a header and intake that will get him more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i've done a lot of reading on nissans and stuff i really like the turbo engines and stuff i was just thinking if he spins it up that fast he's going to throw a rod..

some guy by the name of mike kojima said
I might say that no matter what you do to build a naturally aspirated motor, if you keep an 8000 rpm or less redline, you don’t need special rods.
his rods being less than special.. stock, cast, 130k miles he'd either spin a bearing or a rod would see some sunshine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
The JWT ECU is reprogrammed for a 7800rpm rev limit. If he is getting one with an 8300rpm limit, it is a special order. The stock valve train starts losing rocker arms at 8000-8500rpm.

The dyno runs of the SR20DE engine indicate that the stock engine's horsepower peaks at about 5500rpm and falls off as the rpm rises to the 7200rpm rev limit. Even with an engine with all the bolt-ons and cams, the horsepower peaks at 6500rpm, and falls off to the 7800rpm rev limit.
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/dyno/mike_dyno.gif

The best performance is to shift at an rpm that will put the engine just below the horsepower peak in the next gear so that you run through the peak and shift again. Shifting at 8300rpm on a stock engine will make the car slower since it will be past the horsepower peak in every gear.

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lshadoff said:
The JWT ECU is reprogrammed for a 7800rpm rev limit. If he is getting one with an 8300rpm limit, it is a special order. The stock valve train starts losing rocker arms at 8000-8500rpm.

The dyno runs of the SR20DE engine indicate that the stock engine's horsepower peaks at about 5500rpm and falls off as the rpm rises to the 7200rpm rev limit. Even with an engine with all the bolt-ons and cams, the horsepower peaks at 6500rpm, and falls off to the 7800rpm rev limit.
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/dyno/mike_dyno.gif

The best performance is to shift at an rpm that will put the engine just below the horsepower peak in the next gear so that you run through the peak and shift again. Shifting at 8300rpm on a stock engine will make the car slower since it will be past the horsepower peak in every gear.

Lew
yeah dude i understand that it isnt smart to think higher RPM = more power but there in NO telling this guy he is wrong.

you said the JW ECU is 7800.. thats interesting to say the least(i guess he is just bullshitting to make himself sound like a badass.. let me quote him about his planned mods..lol
to do list for my classic b13.

-B&M precision shirt shifter........... ($161.59)
-Pacesetter or OBX 4-2-1 headers.............. ($159.95)
-Megan Racing 2.5" mandrel bend full stainless catback...($272.89)
-K&N F.I.P.K.[Fuel Injection Performance Kit]...... ($119.99)
-Unothordox underdrive racing SS pulleys........ ($179.99)
-Jim Wolf Technology ECU- reprogrammed for 8300 redline..($259.99)
Total cost of a bolt on parts for my FWD sr20de...........$1,154

total hp(at flywheel) estimated by Jim Wolf Tech- 174.8 hp
total tq(at flywheel) estimated by Jim Wolf Tech- 169.3 ft lb

When this will alll come together into my car..... i doubt its anytime soon. but im expecting to have it possibly done by summer. along with a full body repaint, curtousy of my buddy for 200$, a 3,000 dollar value. Hopefully you guys will be seeing my little red ripper by then zipping around.

-In the Future.. either a High Comp U.K. sr20de or a BB sr20det.($800-1700)
if it isnt too obvious id like to point out how much he thinks the complete swap for the future will cost in total.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
If you look at the dyno runs in the link above, you'll see that all the bolt-ons (which includes cams) yield about 140WHP. This is an old article, and there are currently better cams available which can yield up to 170WHP with bolt-ons (note the 7800rpm limit). Without cams the best he can expect is something less than 140WHP.

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
please, Dont quote me on this, But if someone else has read on what im about to say, and knows more about it, please fill free to fill in the gaps! I read a while back that JWT is making, or has made, some sort of spring pad that seats above or below the intake and exhaust valves, to keep the valves from opening too much at high revs! This sort of coushins the beating on the valves and keeps them from going out of timing due to over opening on the intake side (again dont quote me, and if im wrong, then please feel free to correct any of my errors". Though the sr20 is a very popular and formitable building block, it wouldnt be very wise to call it "BULLET PROOF". I have seen many a fool pop there sr20's by simply not going by the steps of building that is time tested and proven! In sted they would rather rev the mother stocker to 8000rpm, and let that CRX right on by! If that guy wants safe, reliable power, he needs to start with the basice, Fuel, Air, Exhaust! and then comes the "power to the ground mods" flywheel, clutch kit, suspension! I wouldnt suggest going Force induction, until you have built the suspension and drive train up, to hold on to that kind of power reliably! Tell him to take his 600 bucks and invest in an ACT 6 puck race clutch, and a light weight flywheel that has replaceable friction pads. I guarentee you that he will be more impressed whith that extra 11hp that was trapped somewhere in the flywheel, than he would if he poped his moter at 78grand! THere arent many true classics out there! please dont let him destroy it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
numero uno, its not an 89 maybe 91. second point at hand the SR20 will start to float the valves around 8200rpm ( i know from experience) hey but the good thing is you can take the V.C. and oil pan off when that happens , find all the pieces, and put it right back together!--- Mine runs fine. lol :dumbass:
SuckSquishBangSLOW said:
a guy i know has a B13 sentra SE-R no mods what to ever, his car has 130k miles and is an 89.

he is considering getting a Jim Wolf Tech ECU (reprogrammed for 8300 redline)

i know that is a stupid concept to raise the redline for no reason what so ever but he is honestly considering it..

do you think his engine will servive many or even one spin up to 8300RPM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
please dont buy a race clutch, i dont want to re-build another helpless tranny for SR20
anthony jackson said:
please, Dont quote me on this, But if someone else has read on what im about to say, and knows more about it, please fill free to fill in the gaps! I read a while back that JWT is making, or has made, some sort of spring pad that seats above or below the intake and exhaust valves, to keep the valves from opening too much at high revs! This sort of coushins the beating on the valves and keeps them from going out of timing due to over opening on the intake side (again dont quote me, and if im wrong, then please feel free to correct any of my errors". Though the sr20 is a very popular and formitable building block, it wouldnt be very wise to call it "BULLET PROOF". I have seen many a fool pop there sr20's by simply not going by the steps of building that is time tested and proven! In sted they would rather rev the mother stocker to 8000rpm, and let that CRX right on by! If that guy wants safe, reliable power, he needs to start with the basice, Fuel, Air, Exhaust! and then comes the "power to the ground mods" flywheel, clutch kit, suspension! I wouldnt suggest going Force induction, until you have built the suspension and drive train up, to hold on to that kind of power reliably! Tell him to take his 600 bucks and invest in an ACT 6 puck race clutch, and a light weight flywheel that has replaceable friction pads. I guarentee you that he will be more impressed whith that extra 11hp that was trapped somewhere in the flywheel, than he would if he poped his moter at 78grand! THere arent many true classics out there! please dont let him destroy it!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top