Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Nissan Sentra Se-r and it runs fine apart from a chassis problem but that was unavoidable..anyway I was going to start my car, had it in park etc went to turn it on and all i got was a lite sputtering that turned into a loud clicking noise coming from the engine. My lights worked along with dashboard lights...but it still made that noise. I had a friend come out and jump it for me and that worked but as soon as i got home and pulled in front of my house, all of the lights went dark and I was guessing the battery just completely died on me. I guess I was lucky that i made it home without it dying on me, but I still need a car for school.. anyone have any ideas what's going on? I heard a couple of things that it might be the starter motor or just the battery in general but it makes no sense for me to still have lights if it's dead .. :rolleyes: thanks for your help..

-Jordan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHH

98sentraseWV said:
It sounds like it could be the alternator.
DON'T TELL ME THAT..those things are expensive :( i'm going to hopefully take it today and see what's going on with it..
:bs: :mad:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Check the battery connections, they may be corroded. Also check the ground wire to the block for corrosion at the block and a tight connection.

Lew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yay

lshadoff said:
Check the battery connections, they may be corroded. Also check the ground wire to the block for corrosion at the block and a tight connection.

Lew
I cleaned the connectors/terminals bought a new battery for 50 bucks and it runs :) thanks for your help and thank god it wasn't the alternator. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
so u bought a new battery, if it was the alternater that means its still running on the battery or half battery half alt, either way i would double check your alternater

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
The alt is the first thing I would have checked. If you made it home and then it went dim that means your alternator wasn't charging your battery. I suppose your battery could have also been so crappy that it wouldn't accept the charge from the alt but that isn't as common. I'd check your connections and the voltage and amperage coming from your alternator. ALSO I wouldn't be as concerned about the cost of buying the alternator as much as how big of a pain they can be to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts