Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super-Mod with a 240
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I just installed the SE-R fans in my 240, and I have to say that fitment was perfect (no trimming required)! This is by far the cheapest route if you want to switch to electric fans.


Things needed for this project:

1) Two SE-R fans
2) Two long 12-gauge wires (one for power and one for ground).
3) Whole lot of zip-ties.
4) 30-amp inline fuse.
5) Toggle switch to manually control when the fans come on.



In the process of wiring the ground wire and power wire to the battery:






I took one of the plugs of the SE-R fans to power both of them, and then used that one unit to head towards the switch:





30-amp fuse to be on the safe side:





How I zip-tied the two fans together, and then zip-tied them to the radiator fill-neck. Also note that all hoses and wires above the fans were zip-tied together to clean up the area a bit:





The bottom of the fans, unattached. I didn't feel the need to fastem them down as I didn't notice them moving around. I will try to fasten the bottom down later anyway:





Another part of the fan zip-tied to the radiator:





The toggle switch that powers the fans. This is the best I could do with figuring out where to place the switch:





How the engine bay looks after closing it all up:

 

·
Nismophiliac
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Your engine bay is dirty....LOL I"m just messin with ya. Nice Idea with the Se-r fans. Do you have and specs on the fans? Like how much they flow?
 

·
Super-Mod with a 240
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The fans are from the B13 '91-'94 SE-Rs (my specialty). I don't remember the CFM of the SE-R fans, but I do remember that their flow rate is better than the Flexalites. A lot of S14 240 people go with Altima fans ('93-'97), which also are just as good as the SE-R ones, but they need to be trimmed to make them fit in an S13. I just chose the SE-R fans because that's what I had laying in my garage, and they just happened to fit perfectly without any trimming of any sort. So if you want another cheap option, these bad boys should be up there in the list of best bang-for-the-buck items in terms of mods.


And regarding the engine bay's cleanliness, man, driving in Ohio is a pain. Because this car is a DD car, I have to drive it in all sorts of weather. So all the shit from the salt to whatever else gets clogged up there. I just hope the bad rust won't come back, because I just had the car cleaned up (new paint job, rust removal etc.). I guess I'll have to live with it if the rust does come back. Oh well...


I changed the title of the thread, and I'll make this a sticky if you guys think this option is worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
Harris said:
The fans are from the B13 '91-'94 SE-Rs (my specialty). I don't remember the CFM of the SE-R fans, but I do remember that their flow rate is better than the Flexalites. A lot of S14 240 people go with Altima fans ('93-'97), which also are just as good as the SE-R ones, but they need to be trimmed to make them fit in an S13. I just chose the SE-R fans because that's what I had laying in my garage, and they just happened to fit perfectly without any trimming of any sort. So if you want another cheap option, these bad boys should be up there in the list of best bang-for-the-buck items in terms of mods.


And regarding the engine bay's cleanliness, man, driving in Ohio is a pain. Because this car is a DD car, I have to drive it in all sorts of weather. So all the shit from the salt to whatever else gets clogged up there. I just hope the bad rust won't come back, because I just had the car cleaned up (new paint job, rust removal etc.). I guess I'll have to live with it if the rust does come back. Oh well...


I changed the title of the thread, and I'll make this a sticky if you guys think this option is worth it.
im definately getting those fans today.
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Nice post. Great plan to use Taurus fans or fans from other transverse domestics due to affordability/availability, but the big part is the wiring. Simple circuit with a switch. Good post.
I see you stole my avatar, Harris.
 

·
Pivot 180
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Yeah no offense but your wiring is a bit dodgy :)
You dont need to earth back to the battery terminal, just use a short wire to the car body. Also a high current relay with a low current switch is better than a single high current switch.
You should also be able to simply push a number of bolts through the radiator fins and use a wide washer on the other side to secure the fans

Did you wire the fans in series or parallel?

They look like they fit nicely!
 

·
Nismophiliac
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
From an amateur electrician, I think you did a fine job with the wiring. Single switch is probably the most easy route to do. I have a question for Joel.. what kind of relay would you use, and what wires would you run to it?
 

·
Super-Mod with a 240
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joel said:
Did you wire the fans in series or parallel?


I had them run in series. I should have mentioned this, but I'm not anywhere near close to good at wiring or electrical stuff (I'm very good at mechanical work). This is more than proven by the work that you see in the pics. So I think I did well enough work to make this setup functional. Somewhere down the line, I'll be enlisting the help of friends who are better at this than me.



Joel said:
They look like they fit nicely!

Yes indeed! Being that you're in Australia, you can probably get the fans off of an NX (that's what I think they're called in Europe).
 

·
Locked and Loaded
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
seems like a good plan, but i would probably just leave the toggle on at all times, unless it's not run off of the ignition on circuit, because if it's tapping power straight from the battery, or another terminal that is independant of the ignition, it would have to be turned on and off each time you start the car, but why would you not want to have a fan running? just when you're cruising at high speeds?
 

·
Pivot 180
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Yeah thats what Im talking about. The relay size depends on the current draw of the fans. If they work with the 30A fuse then a 30A relay is required.
This one is 20A so a bigger version is required, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/438f9ccb059a64642743c0a87f9c0771/Product/View/P8035

And for those that have limited electrical knowledge, terrans diagram shows the fans in parallel. Series would have the neg of the first fan attached to the positive of the second. Parallel would bring the speed of each fan up but also raise the total circuit current draw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Joel said:
Yeah thats what Im talking about. The relay size depends on the current draw of the fans. If they work with the 30A fuse then a 30A relay is required.
This one is 20A so a bigger version is required, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/438f9ccb059a64642743c0a87f9c0771/Product/View/P8035

And for those that have limited electrical knowledge, terrans diagram shows the fans in parallel. Series would have the neg of the first fan attached to the positive of the second. Parallel would bring the speed of each fan up but also raise the total circuit current draw.
Yeah i forgot the fuse in there cause i'm cool like that, that's living on the wild side. Although in theory your fuse would be where the ING. On area is, and you'd have another one before the relay.
 

·
Super-Mod with a 240
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dustin said:
seems like a good plan, but i would probably just leave the toggle on at all times, unless it's not run off of the ignition on circuit, because if it's tapping power straight from the battery, or another terminal that is independant of the ignition, it would have to be turned on and off each time you start the car, but why would you not want to have a fan running? just when you're cruising at high speeds?


An electric fan in a car is not on all the time. It turns on when the coolant temperature goes up to a certain point and turns off when it has cooled down to a certain point (some turn on at 208* and off at around 180-ish*). Also, they turn on usually when the car is stationary or travelling at slow speed.
 

·
Finally got a user title
Joined
·
101 Posts
A friend of mine got some Stanza fans from a junkyard for 25 some odd dollars, so that's another option. He also got this relay from Autozone that you sitck in your radiator and it turns the fans on at whatever temperature he sets it at. He spent like $50 on the whole thing and it cools his redtop fine. Unfortunately, I don't know specifically what the relay was called.
 

·
Super-Mod with a 240
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How bad of a safety issue is it with the way I'm running the fans? That's what I'd like answered from you wiring gurus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Harris said:
How bad of a safety issue is it with the way I'm running the fans? That's what I'd like answered from you wiring gurus.
How good's your memory? Seriously though, you don't really want to be overcooling or undercooling your engine, in the long run it's cheaper to wire them correctly and not have to worry about it. That highvoltages switch is fairly dangerous, i knew a kid who had some POS wal-fart fogs that were wireed like that, and the switch melted to his dash one night. Same reason they don't put Ammeters in cars anymore, too much voltage in one place. That and it's going ot be a real pain to have to think about those fans every single time you turn your car on.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top