Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody replaced their Xtrail
Catalytic converter lately? If so, is it cheaper to buy one online/have it shipped/pay for the install? Other then having a quiet, factory sounding Xtrail, does the Cat restore any performance? My xtrail might be a pain in the wallet when it comes time for a new cat. The related pipes, nuts, bolts, hangers are most likely rusty and will add to the repair bill.
  • I am in Vancouver, BC. If the day comes i need a new Cat, can anybody recommend either a decent ($) muffler shop or online source to buy a new Catalytic converter? -
  • I looked up prices for a generic Cat just for fun awhile back...yikes...damn things are expensive. And the labour times can climb up there too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Don't mess with a bad cat, Tony. Virtually everything Nissan uses "Miller cycling" to avoid the need for an EGR valve, where the valve timing is altered to "re-inhale" a tiny bit of exhaust gas on each intake stroke to reduce NOx formation. Works great unless your cat disintegrates. Then your engine is inhaling metal particles instead of exhaust, and bye-bye rings and sleeves. Virtually every engine that suffers cat-inhalation goes to the JY. It's not something to play around with.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The only cat on the X-Trail is all-in-one with the exhaust manifold/header. I replaced mine a few years ago. I had a CEL for catalytic converter below efficiency. I tried replacing just the O2 sensors first but had to replace the cat/header.
I got mine from a forum member who bought one and didn't need it for $150 I think it was. This looks like the same one I got...Kijiji catalytic converter $180.

Far cheaper to buy online. I think my mechanic charged me $75 to install it.

Reactions: tonyvancity

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only cat on the X-Trail is all-in-one with the exhaust manifold/header. I replaced mine a few years ago. I had a CEL for catalytic converter below efficiency. I tried replacing just the O2 sensors first but had to replace the cat/header. I got mine from a forum member who bought one and didn't need it for $150 I think it was. This looks like the same one I got...Kijiji catalytic converter $180.
If it's dying then a cheap one is better than a dying one, but do watch out for really cheap stuff. Ask Smj if y'all don't believe me. I've seen bargain basement ones fail in under 10K miles, and I'm sure he has too. There are some aftermarket brands that no one has many problems with, notably Bosal and Eastern Catalytic. Just remember, cat inhalation is forever. Bye-bye engine if it happens, with few-to-no exceptions!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't mess with a bad cat, Tony. Virtually everything Nissan uses "Miller cycling" to avoid the need for an EGR valve, where the valve timing is altered to "re-inhale" a tiny bit of exhaust gas on each intake stroke to reduce NOx formation. Works great unless your cat disintegrates. Then your engine is inhaling metal particles instead of exhaust, and bye-bye rings and sleeves. Virtually every engine that suffers cat-inhalation goes to the JY. It's not something to play around with.
i think my Cat is okay.Truck runs fine, but i bought my 06 xtrail in 2015 and i have no idea what shape it really is in. I mean, the truck is quiet at idle or on the freeway, i'm not getting any dash lights/check engine lights....so far. I'm just curious at this stage IF i really need to go buy/install and how much i may be looking to shell out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only cat on the X-Trail is all-in-one with the exhaust manifold/header. I replaced mine a few years ago. I had a CEL for catalytic converter below efficiency. I tried replacing just the O2 sensors first but had to replace the cat/header.
I got mine from a forum member who bought one and didn't need it for $150 I think it was. This looks like the same one I got...Kijiji catalytic converter $180.

i'm thinking $75 to install your cat would be a good/fair price...that is if everything relatively easy peasy for the mechanic or exhaust Pro to remove cleanly. Once they discover lots of rust or rusted thru pieces, and they have to cut, weld, fabricate or order new replacement parts ( hangers, shields, bolts, etc) it may go up in price quite a bit, no?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thnx for that link. I had a look at it. Too bad it is in Toronto. If i were to buy it,not sure if they even do shipping. And i'm afraid what they might ask for shipping. Might be cheaper in my case to buy it locally and go from there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i think my Cat is okay.Truck runs fine, but i bought my 06 xtrail in 2015 and i have no idea what shape it really is in. I mean, the truck is quiet at idle or on the freeway, i'm not getting any dash lights/check engine lights....so far. I'm just curious at this stage IF i really need to go buy/install and how much i may be looking to shell out.
Under normal circumstances the rear HO2S sensor will give you plenty of warning when a cat is fixing to fail. That's what it's there for, the engine doesn't need it to run. The technicians' saying is, "The front O2 is for the ECM, the rear O2 is for the government." That's true as far as it goes, but on a Miller-cycling engine, the rear O2 is also the early warning system. The other symptom, actually pretty common on high-performance stuff, is a "mystery rattle" coming from the exhaust system. That's usually a broken piece of honeycomb from the cat kicking around in the pipe, and it's generally a sign that worse things are to come.

The bottom line for now is, no lights, no rattles, O2 sensors work properly, then quit worrying. It will warn you when the time comes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In the ad it says we can ship throughout Canada.

Reactions: tonyvancity

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under normal circumstances the rear HO2S sensor will give you plenty of warning when a cat is fixing to fail. That's what it's there for, the engine doesn't need it to run. The technicians' saying is, "The front O2 is for the ECM, the rear O2 is for the government." That's true as far as it goes, but on a Miller-cycling engine, the rear O2 is also the early warning system. The other symptom, actually pretty common on high-performance stuff, is a "mystery rattle" coming from the exhaust system. That's usually a broken piece of honeycomb from the cat kicking around in the pipe, and it's generally a sign that worse things are to come.

The bottom line for now is, no lights, no rattles, O2 sensors work properly, then quit worrying. It will warn you when the time comes.
The other symptom, actually pretty common on high-performance stuff, is a "mystery rattle" coming from the exhaust system. That's usually a broken piece of honeycomb from the cat kicking around in the pipe, and it's generally a sign that worse things are to come.
  • Ah, there you go. I do have an annoying ''exhaust'' area rattle. About a year ago or more, i had the mechanic put my Xtrail up on his hoist as i was complaining about a rattle underneath. We looked and determined my heat shield was pretty rusty and in poor shape. So he tied it more securely with metal wire ...but did not really improve much. Then 3-4 months ago, i got his partner mechanic to just break off whatever was rattling.
  • Still rattling. I suspect the CAT is old and worn down, with the inside honeycomb most likely somewhat disintegrating. My acceleration seems ok, not seeing black exhaust smoke or smelling weird smells, no dash lights, etc. I just have a hunch the Cat life cycle is coming up soon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Still rattling. I suspect the CAT is old and worn down, with the inside honeycomb most likely somewhat disintegrating. My acceleration seems ok, not seeing black exhaust smoke or smelling weird smells, no dash lights, etc. I just have a hunch the Cat life cycle is coming up soon.
Next time it's up on a lift, take a dead-blow hammer to the cat and pipe. If it's something inside, you'll hear it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the ad it says we can ship throughout Canada.
so i relooked at that kijiji Ad. It has the website there so i clicked and went there. It has a search for part drop box. Entered my 06 Xtrail info...and nothing available for either exhaust or Cat converter. I left my details on the kijiji and emailed the exhaust shop too. Thanks again for your tip.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next time it's up on a lift, take a dead-blow hammer to the cat and pipe. If it's something inside, you'll hear it.
Doh! i should of done that today in my driveway.....was dry and sunny . I give a few taps with my rubber mallet soon as the next dry day comes up.
Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well.....today sunny and 7 C with 75% humidity. I didn't feel like crawling under my Xtrail to bang on the Cat converter. But i did pop my hood and do a mild tuneup. -
CLeaned my map sensor with kleenflo spray sensor.
  • Cleaned the throttle body valve / flap with throttle body spray & rag .
  • Pulled out the PVC valve to inspect. Clean from my previous cleaning of 2 months ago.
  • Took apart my air filter box, vacuum blow out any debris, blew out the air filter, re install.
  • Checked all fluids and all in top shape.-
Vacuumed out the interior, cleaned out the dirty slime from the gas flap door, cap and surrounding areas..... that gets cleaned often. Read a study awhile back on how dirty and germ filthy a gas station pump handle ( the nozzle ) is and i figured a vehicle gas cap/gas door flap must also be fairly disgusting and kinda germy....may as well clean periodically.
-The husky got two nice walks so far. I think he confused as to where the snow disappeared to and if I moved us to Miami while he slept. Maybe i plant some flowers or seeds this weekend ! 😁 I do not need any new topsoil as many often tell me i'm full of manure. Cept they don't actually use the word Manure. :oops:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Back in prehistory I lived for awhile in El Paso, TX. The place almost never gets more than a flurry all winter long, but one year we had a freak 50+ cm snowstorm roll down out of the Rockies. Of course the whole town stopped dead in its tracks. Next morning I peeked out the window and got ready for work, it was gone without a trace. Wish the snow we're having right now would do that!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back in prehistory I lived for awhile in El Paso, TX. The place almost never gets more than a flurry all winter long, but one year we had a freak 50+ cm snowstorm roll down out of the Rockies. Of course the whole town stopped dead in its tracks. Next morning I peeked out the window and got ready for work, it was gone without a trace. Wish the snow we're having right now would do that!
weird.....i was watching CNN and they have been reporting bad snow storms in Texas, worse then previous years.
  • I realize Texas is a huge state in land mass and might not be the entire state under a deep freeze.
  • But when i think of Texas, i tend to think it must be like parts of southern California or Northern part of Mexico. Which to me would be sage brush, dusty, hot, cactus, cowboys, armadillos , cattle, JR getting shot in the shower -dream , chili con carne , horses that carry a six shooter on their hip, Lonestar beer, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, ZZ Top ( when they played the blues and were awesome). Don't mess with Texas. :)
  • But i imagine it does get cold in the desert . Enough to make an armadillo put on a sweater

·
Registered
549 Posts
West Texas is high desert just like Mexico, East Texas is mostly hill country and fairly wet by comparison. FYI, at the start of these storms the entire state had an ice emergency, every county was affected. I don't recall that ever happening before. We're only 90 minutes from Texarkana and I can tell you we're buried right now, and the worst of the storm was south of here.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
West Texas is high desert just like Mexico, East Texas is mostly hill country and fairly wet by comparison. FYI, at the start of these storms the entire state had an ice emergency, every county was affected. I don't recall that ever happening before. We're only 90 minutes from Texarkana and I can tell you we're buried right now, and the worst of the storm was south of here.
well, i hope the weather improves and everyone in Texas stays safe and healthy. Watching CNN news now and they chatting about the texas weather disaster. Hopefully your President Biden & company can come up with a relief plan and help you guys out as much as possible.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hopefully your President Biden & company can come up with a relief plan and help you guys out as much as possible.
They don't need a relief plan, they need smarter planners and less "green" BS. CNN probably won't tell you, but over the last decade or so, Texas made the idiot error of becoming 25% dependent on wind and solar (mostly wind farms). When the ice and crazy-low temperatures hit, over 90% of the windmills froze up. I heard one commentator remark that, "Being short on power in Texas is like starving to death in a supermarket -- you can only do it on purpose." Texas has done it on purpose, and it's dumb as a post. This is what you get when "green" politicians start virtue signaling instead of using half a brain. People die. Very sad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts