Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a simple one. Is this supposed to be connected somewhere? Its on the driver side all the way in front, behind the headlight...I think.

Here's the biggest problem so far. I suspect this is what keeps starting my fires. You can see where the wires are burnt/exposed. The area is also kinda oily. This is under the car on the passenger side. Can someone tell me what harness this is? The FSM is giving me a headache. :(

Another burnt harness...runs along the passenger side of the motor. The one from the picture above can be seen when looking directly down from this side of the motor.

This hose was disconnected from the pass. side CV boot. There was an exposed nipple on the boot, and the hose is the right length to fit it. I saw that it was connected to a nipple on the driver side, so I just connected it to the one on the pass. side too. Can someone tell me what it does?

And here's the car...very dirty though.

Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully this headache will go away now so I can study the FSM. :(

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Top pic is just the cover for the headlight motor. The hose is there for ventilation and to let moisture escape.

The 2nd pic, all that burnt wiring is to the starter area, so clean those up, or replace them as needed, and degrease that whole area and you shouldn't have any more problems. Might be some gas dripping down there too, looks a bit odd in some areas.

3rd pic, not sure what wiring that would be, my car doesn't have any wiring in that area. Might be improperly placed wiring going to the alt or the starter. Remove, clean/replace, relocate.

4th pic, thats not CV boots, thats the air hose from each side of the steering rack. Some cars use metal lines. It's just to equalize pressure inside the boots so that they don't blow out or deflate too much every time you turn the wheel.....

5th pic, Nice Car. :thumbup: I like the lower skirts on those.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks a lot!!! I didn't know what to call the steering rack thing, so I just said something....lol. But was it a problem that the hose was disconnected?
The wires in the starter area...I'm just gonna replace them all. Dont want to run the risk of missing something. You're also right, there probably still is fuel down there. After the last fire, I changed the fuel filter/hoses in that area.
Anyone can tell what the wires in the 3rd pic are?

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the car. :cheers: I was thinking of lowering it, but I wont even bother. I kinda like the stance on it. Maybe just a good cleaning up of the interior (some buttons missing...digital metric dash...no radio), new paint job, and some nice wheels.

*edit*
- Looking at the FSM, there seem to be some difference in harness layout between MT and AT models. My car is AUTOMATIC. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way, will I have to replace the starter wires one by one, or is that a separate harness by itself?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
andre said:
by the way, will I have to replace the starter wires one by one, or is that a separate harness by itself?
Might be, not real sure about that, but it should be.....

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
What trim model is your car Andre?

You should really degrease all that stuff........first disconnect the battery and then degrease it....at home of course so you dont have to drive the car if you sprayed something you shouldnt have and you can let it air dry. I would stop starting it if there are so many fires.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last fire was after I degreased...or thought I completely degreased...the engine bay. This time I'm gonna do it from the top and the bottom so I get into all the little crevices. The drawing in the FSM looks like its a long complete harness, so I guess I'll just have to cut into the wires. As far as the trim goes, looking at the options I guess its a GLL.... full leather, electric shocks, power everything, etc. Hopefully I'll get back under there on Thursday...not sure if its supposed to rain or not though. :(

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Like they said degrease it. Go through the fuel lines again. You might be best off just replacing everything back there since fires do nasty things to parts. Yeah it is a GLL (I can see the leather in the pics) Nice color pretty rare one I must say :thumbup:

So is the car Canadian spec?

oh yeah and damn wash the car

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is Canadian spec....everything is in KMs (digital gauges). Gonna do a more thorough degreasing tomorrow, then one day I'll go through the wiring. Think I'll change the valve cover gaskets tomorrow too. Should be a dry day. As far as the color of the car goes....if I had the money right now, and the engine was in great shape....I would change the color. I've been thinking about that.
Maybe I should just pull the engine apart a little tomorrow, so I can get a better view of whats going on.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
andre said:
I think it is Canadian spec....everything is in KMs (digital gauges). Gonna do a more thorough degreasing tomorrow, then one day I'll go through the wiring. Think I'll change the valve cover gaskets tomorrow too. Should be a dry day. As far as the color of the car goes....if I had the money right now, and the engine was in great shape....I would change the color. I've been thinking about that.
Maybe I should just pull the engine apart a little tomorrow, so I can get a better view of whats going on.
Well it is a 2by2 and a Turbo so it has to be Canadian spec. With the plenum off alot more will be visible.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I'm stuck...literally. I cant get the valve cover off...I guess the gasket was melted or something. A friend told me to try prying it a little with a screwdriver....tried that with no success...plus its a b!tch to get any tool horizontally enough to pry it. Any of you guys have any tips on how to get the VC off? I was trying the pass. side one first, since it looked easier.
I didn't get to degrease the underside of the motor either...its too cold outside. So basically, I got nothing done today. :(

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Make sure you got all the screws first. Mighta missed one. The method I have used is to take a block of wood and a hammer and whap each end a time or 2. Prying is ok to a point, but you might damage the sealing surface.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had all the screws out. I'll try knocking it like you said when I go to do it again. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Valve cover still wont come off, but I'll deal with that later. Right now I just wanna get this thing started. I degreased again last week, and got to a lot of burnt wiring. I used a little pick to strip them apart (was a real PITA...they were one big melted jumble) so now all the exposed wires are singled out. I cant get enough room under the car to cut/replace wires, so I really dont want to cut anything. I know there is a risk in doing this, but do you think I can just wrap the wires with electrical tape and be confident in it?
There's one pair of wires that goes into some round space on the pass. side of the motor...kinda under the oil filter but back a little. Those 2 wires are stripped all the way, so I'd like to know if that connection can be unplugged (wish I had a pic to show :( ). Those wires are really thin...much thinner than the others, so I dont want to put any pressure on them. Plus there's no color coating on them, so if they break, it would be hell trying to figure out which is which.
So should I try taping it all up or not?

Also, there's still oil leaking from somewhere under there....I can remember what it was dripping from, but cant remember what was around it. I'll figure that out later.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
You may want to go through and replace the entire harness along with any other wiring. From the pictures, the fires, and problems you have described it sounds like the wiring in your car may be absolutely FUBAR.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok any tips on where i can get the harness? if i could get a used one it would be great, but i dont think thats very likely. I dont see a listing for one in the Vic. British catalog I have either.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
andre said:
Valve cover still wont come off, but I'll deal with that later. Right now I just wanna get this thing started. I degreased again last week, and got to a lot of burnt wiring. I used a little pick to strip them apart (was a real PITA...they were one big melted jumble) so now all the exposed wires are singled out. I cant get enough room under the car to cut/replace wires, so I really dont want to cut anything. I know there is a risk in doing this, but do you think I can just wrap the wires with electrical tape and be confident in it?
There's one pair of wires that goes into some round space on the pass. side of the motor...kinda under the oil filter but back a little. Those 2 wires are stripped all the way, so I'd like to know if that connection can be unplugged (wish I had a pic to show :( ). Those wires are really thin...much thinner than the others, so I dont want to put any pressure on them. Plus there's no color coating on them, so if they break, it would be hell trying to figure out which is which.
So should I try taping it all up or not? That is the knock sensor. If you unplug it, the ECU will set a code and possibly reduce timing to minimal levels and you'll lose power.

Also, there's still oil leaking from somewhere under there....I can remember what it was dripping from, but cant remember what was around it. I'll figure that out later.That oil is probably from the cam seal on that side. Mine were leaking , I would suspect yours are too. Oil eats wire coating like no other, that's where the problem started originally.
:) ..........

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks a lot for that post!!! you're prob. right about the fire starting there too...last time i saw fire, it was really blazing from under there. I'm gonna take James' advice and replace the whole damn harness. :( Can you guys help me find out what its called...I'd rather get the whole thing running on the pass. side of the motor. Looking at the FSM isn't really helping much. I wanted to post in the sticky at the top of the page (for stock parts) but I dont really know what harness I need. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wooooooohoooooooo

Started the car today....took almost an hour, but it started for a couple of seconds. I stood there with the fire extinguisher, ready for fire, but nothing came (thank goodness). When it finally started, some dust blew off the fan....I got frightened and told my friend to turn it back off....lol. Thats the good...great news!! Everything still works....so far.

Now for the bad news. When it was started it was leaking fuel from an outlet close to the injectors. The "outlet" points down, and is next to the spark plug wires. This is the general area. The screws you see are from the pass. side valve cover...still cant get it off.

Here's a close-up of where it was leaking...I thought I had a clear shot, but I didn't.

You might be able to see the wet area in the second pic. Please help.
In the mean time, I think I'm gonna start pulling the motor apart.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I think that fuel outlet is possibly to an injector. I don't recall anything in that area on my car except injector ports, the line to the FPR goes on the passenger side, at least on mine. Is it just a leak or more of a gush, there is 30+ pounds of fuel pressure at idle.....
You should remove the upper plenum and make sure of what it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts