Nissan Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
so close to turbo...
925 Posts
well thats an unfair comparison.... a 97 bmw? if that things not running like a champ the owner should be smacked for fucking up his car....i want a bmw someday when i can have multiple cars :) ( oldschool m3)

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guess finally when the motor croaks out then Ill shove a SR20DE(T) in it and sell it for twice what I paid for it lol.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Naw...cant do that. I have already offered 2000 for it. Plus it has been WELL taken care of.

Anyway, I asked her husband about it. He said he hasnt done much do it. I asked him about the timing guides, he said they have NEVER been replaced. Then im like...uh oh, I need to get this car before it tears up. I also did hear this rattling noise on a good hard take off. But then it would quit after about 2 seconds. I couldnt figure out what it was. Its a strong runner I do know that. I could imagine what it could do with a stick. woo that thing will flat spin a tire, on a wet road of course. It kinda likes to goto one side for some odd reason. Vettes do that too. So what does everybody think of the rattling sound?

·
Registered
104 Posts
bridrive55 said:
A long time. Expensive, but not hard. 155 brake horsepower. $2,000.

the conversion isint expensive if you do the work yourself if you go to a mechanic get ready to fork out money!

·
Registered
23 Posts
yea to do a auto to manual swap will be very expensive maybe around 2k with all the parts... but this car is not just for driving around pikin up gurls, there is barely any space in the back seat... think harder before you buy this car.... but yea the swap will cost you a fortune if you not doin it urself... hope you chose the right decision

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I have decided not to do the conversion. I just dont have the money and time. Space is no concern for me. I aint gonna pick up tons of girls...surprisingly, I dont have time for that either. I am going to be working full time this summer to pay for this car.

As for the timing guides, should I get them replaced immediately when I buy it? How hard is it to do it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Biscuit said:
Well I have decided not to do the conversion. I just dont have the money and time. Space is no concern for me. I aint gonna pick up tons of girls...surprisingly, I dont have time for that either. I am going to be working full time this summer to pay for this car.

As for the timing guides, should I get them replaced immediately when I buy it? How hard is it to do it?
hey i've got a 93 240sx with the stock 2.5 i just changed the timing chain and all , you can get a kit from advance auto for under 300.00 and do it youre self , mine really did'nt need it , but it made a little noise , and the water pump was going out on it , so what the hell , i was half way there , so i went for it , took about half a day to do it . oh by the way it got a little over 207,000 mile miles on here , it runs great the comp. is around 150 psi on all four cyl.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It kinda likes to goto one side for some odd reason. Vettes do that too. So what does everybody think of the rattling sound?
Umm the one side thing is prolly from the spider gears only spinning one tire. Or wieght in the car can cause that. The 240sx has very little wieght in the rear and will spin all day.

Also the rattle... is it from the engine bay or under the car? It could be as simple as a heat shield.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Kelso said:
well thats an unfair comparison.... a 97 bmw? if that things not running like a champ the owner should be smacked for fucking up his car....i want a bmw someday when i can have multiple cars :) ( oldschool m3)
Sorry, complete typo. It's a 1977 BMW. Lol....
My friend Aric drives an E36 M3. That car is the BALLS.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Chris90FB240sx said:
Umm the one side thing is prolly from the spider gears only spinning one tire. Or wieght in the car can cause that. The 240sx has very little wieght in the rear and will spin all day.

Also the rattle... is it from the engine bay or under the car? It could be as simple as a heat shield.
What are you talking about, the 240SX has very little weight in the rear? It's almost 50/50 weight balanced.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think it was comin from under the hood. Its not a loud rattle and not a quiet rattle. As long as its not coming from the engine itself Im ok with it...it doesnt rattle that long anyway. I have seen people complain about some of the things that the S13 240 does. I really like the way the car rides and drives. I just want something that will get me from a to b safely and reliably. If I get this car...it will be better than that P.O.S. 89 Sentra I have. :fluffy:

I really appreciate everybodies advice and info. It has helped me out alot. Thanks!

·
so close to turbo...
925 Posts
the tires are probably having the wrong pressures or its out of alignment....or if its just a slight pull to the side dont worry about it cause it could just be the road itself...

the rattle could be the exhaust heat sheild maybe? or maybe even an exhaust leak which has a tapping sound

and yes the E36 is awesome....theyre so rare and expensive as fuck for the age...

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I know the car is a bit out of alignment, it shakes just a tad bit going down the interstate. Ill check into the tapping sound..no problem.

I have been reading about HICAS. What does it stand for and what is the benefit of it? All I really know is that its 4 wheel steering. Just those 2 small questions answered would make me more than happy.

Edit: I did a search which answered my questions completely. Now all I have to do is find out if this car has HICAS or not. I didnt look for a HICAS button/light. But here is another question: How much will the HICAS system make the back tires turn when the steerin wheel is turned really sharp?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, just so you know, usually when cars get old things start to go out. water pumps going out is not all to unheard off when you have over 100k miles depending on how you drive. I've had two 91 240SX and put over 170k miles on them, in LA with some long hard drives and in some hot weather, keep them whel oiled, change the oil and replace any sensors or old parts and go out and your 240SX will treat you very kindly, as compared to my ford and chevy experiences, i would say this is a very damn reliable car hands down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Biscuit said:
I am thinking about buying a 92 240 and I want to know some stuff...

First question. How long does the automatic last if its well kept up and not jurked around.

How hard is it to convert it over to a stick?

How many horsepower does it have?

It has 128k on it and light paint fade, how much should I offer for it?

I think that is all for now. I will think of some more later. Thanks for yalls help!
It lasts a long time, its very east to convert to a stick, my friend is doing the same thing on a s14, it has 155hp and 156 lbs. tq., um bout 2K.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts