Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 92 240 and I want to know some stuff...

First question. How long does the automatic last if its well kept up and not jurked around.

How hard is it to convert it over to a stick?

How many horsepower does it have?

It has 128k on it and light paint fade, how much should I offer for it?

I think that is all for now. I will think of some more later. Thanks for yalls help!

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
A long time. Expensive, but not hard. 155 brake horsepower. $2,000.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got money to convert it over, but im gonna wait until the auto goes out. Just trying to get the old woman to sell it to me for 2000 is gonna be the hard part.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Biscuit said:
I got money to convert it over, but im gonna wait until the auto goes out. Just trying to get the old woman to sell it to me for 2000 is gonna be the hard part.
Old woman? How much does she think it's worth? If you're really keen, you might go up to $2500. Act really nice and innocent.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only got 2000 to spend, for now. I just need something reliable to get me around. But I think if I haggle around long enuf I can get it for 2000. I will finally get on her nerves and she will do it.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Biscuit said:
I only got 2000 to spend, for now. I just need something reliable to get me around. But I think if I haggle around long enuf I can get it for 2000. I will finally get on her nerves and she will do it.
If you're looking for a reliable car, go hit up the B14 threads. The 240 is not known for reliability. I can certainly tell you this firsthand.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea...my 89 Sentra used to lose rotor buttons and the timin chain skipped a link every now and then.

Whats so unreliable about the 240?

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
bridrive55 said:
If you're looking for a reliable car, go hit up the B14 threads. The 240 is not known for reliability. I can certainly tell you this firsthand.
Its not known for reliability to crazy kids that pound the hell out of it "drifting." The guy who sold it to me didn't drift, maintain it well, and its purring like a kitten after 123,000 miles. The engine bay even looks clean.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not going to use it for drifting. I just something efficient to get me around and pick up women. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, they are reliable cars if they're taken care of... Mine still runs like a champ and it has just recently rolled over 180,000...

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea from what I hear, it has very good reliablity. Its just the automatic is what worries me. I mean, a lot of japenese car makers cant make a good automatic tranny but can make a damn good manual tranny.

I just found out that her husband drives the car and we all know that most 60 year old men take good care of their cars. This guy is always makin sure his cars are in tip top condition. So for 2000 and some TLC, this car should get me over 230k miles.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
bridrive55 said:
I haven't had any problems with mine.... :fluffy:

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
Biscuit said:
I think he meant when you use it for drifting...
well, in your case it might run like a champ, if it was taken care of, but a lot of people are just getting their s13s from people, and the drifting craze is already dying out, so a lot of the cars are beaten to hell and back, dont worry about the one you want, unless the old lady is a closet drifter.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
OPIUM said:
OMG, Opie rose from the grave.

The 240SX is statistically an unreliable car. The numbers speak for themselves, bII. Don't try to attribute 240SX design flaws to "drifters." Drifting didn't ruin my timing chain. Drifting didn't make my water pump leaky. Drifting didn't destroy my power steering pump. Poor design is the flaw in all three cases.
I'm not hating on 240SX's. I love mine. I just won't recommend one for a daily driver, and will correct people when they assume that it's a reliable car. It is not.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
OPIUM said:
What about all those coilpacks you shot because of a bad ground? There is no problem-free 240SX. Even my 1997 motor has it's problems.

·
so close to turbo...
925 Posts
i still think its a reliable car as long as the timing chain guides are replaced.that is a very poor design even nissan acknowledged.

besides my clutch having some messed up feathering points i havent had any problems with this 240...but the paint looks like ass lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 240 is the most relible car I have ever owned. Almost 195,000 and it has never left me on the side of the road. Water pumps are maintence items I'm on my third as of 180,000 but compare that to my mom's Z28 witch kills water pumps every 40-50,000 mi and nissan is doing good. Only none maintence thing I have ever replaced was a fuel pump at 190,000 mi, and I don't know of another company that makes changing a fuel pump so easy. It took more time to go to the store and get the part then it did to change it.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still think if i can get at LEAST 80k out of it with no MAJOR problems, it will do me fine. I probably wont have it that long anyway. So if the old lady hasnt had the timing guides replaced, should I do it? I just hope this car doesnt eat timing chains like my 89 Sentra. I had to replace the timing chain every 25k and it rattled like a bitch. And I mean like a loud ass diesal. I have heard diesals quieter than my Sentra. All I have to say is, as long as this thing doesnt eat chains like my Sentra, I'll be more than happy to buy this car. Water pumps, power steering, and fuel pumps are the least of my worries, otherwise an easy fix because I have the equipment and tools to do it. Some cars of the same models are different. My friend had an 89 Sentra like mine and he had issues like mad and I had none except for the timing chain. I guess it just depends on how you treat and take care of your car. I dont know though. The old ladies husband is a true car lover and he does all the required maintnence at the right times. Ill ask her whats all been done to it and ill give yall input and then yall can tell me what I need to do before I really start thinking its a reliable car.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
My KA24DE has been better, but I have yet to see how it will handle the 12psi I'm about to shove down it's throat... I feel sorry for the thing, but it's not like I'm going to beat it to smithereens. I drive like an old woman myself.
Every other car that any of my friends have ever owned, save for my Taurus SHO and my friend's DSM, have been far more reliable than my 240. My buddy's 1997 BMW has been more reliable than my 240 by far. I don't know, maybe I just got the Friday car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts