Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, with the gas price going up, my X Trail hasn't had a tune up for a while. Besides the 20K air filter replacement and tire issue, I would like to know should the plugs be changed. If so, how do you access the plugs? General plugs are suffice or should a better product be used?

Secondly, after the constant stop and go, and applying the brakes liberally, I can here clicking sound at the left rear wheel. Has anyone come across this occurrence?

Thanks,

REAM1

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, depending on your km, you shouldn't have to change the spark plugs for quite some time. Mind you, it wouldn't hurt to replace them but it isn't necessary unless their is something wrong with them (i.e, detonation, etc.) If there is nothing that causes concern, then your spark plugs are fine.

As for access of the plugs, you have to take of the plastic cover (CVTC 2.5 on the plastic cover) with a 10mm socket in order to get at the spark plugs. Also, you have to use the 10mm socket to get the spark plug boot off. Once this is done, then the spark plugs are easily accessible.
Before you check your spark plugs, make sure you have a "spark plug gapper", which can easily be acquired at Canadian Tire, Partsource, Napa, etc. And, don't forget to find out what the gap is for the spark plugs. This is important.

You mentioned "clicking". Now, is that in the front end, and does it only occur during turning or when you are driving straight? Have you checked your brake pads?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the tools for the gaping. Right now, I have over 72k with the original plugs.

As I mentioned, the clicking is occurring in the left rear wheel. This happens after stopping and going for about 10-30 minutes. It seems with the stopping and going, it has to be associated with the heat build up in the left rear brake drum.

The pads that I had installed are the ceramic type. My mechanical recommended this.
If some of you recall, Nissan wanted to charge me $1200+ for all four. My mechanic charged me $540.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts