Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if you guys/gals can help me...I've got a squealing sound coming from the engine when the A/c is switched on...sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley.

Since I know jack about a/c, but am fairly handy mechanically, I was wondering what y'all think it is. Is there a clutch associated with it? Idler pulley?

I've replaced a main seal before, done brakes, suspension, pulled the trans, changed the clutch & PP so if someone could suggest what it might be, I can probably handle it...

Thanks!
Jay

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A/C problems....

When was the A/C belt checked or replaced? I had the same issue, replaced the belt, the squealing dissappened. Then got it recharged the system. Blows COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD air. And I need here in Sac, 100+ degress. So check your belt and that should solve you problem.

QinSac

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be awesome if it was just the belt. It's the wife's car and I happened to notice the squeal when I was getting out to go in to the store and she happened to flip the a/c on.

I haven't gotten a chance to look under the hood yet, hopefully this weekend. It definitely needs a recharge.

Oh, and the fan only blows on the high setting. Is this a blown fuse somewhere, or something else?

Appreciate the help!
Jay

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Your fan switch is probably screwed up. Unlike yours, mine wouldn't work on high, or sometimes after it'd been running on high it'd shut off, but the lower three settings worked fine. I took the switch out and took it apart and the high switch position contact had gotten hot and sunken into the plastic so it wouldn't make contact. So I used some sand paper to bring the plastic down flush and some emery cloth to clean up the contacts. Worked perfect for awhile and now it's sort of tempermental, but works. I've heard it was a common problem on the car. I don't know how much a new switch is, been meaning to look for some seasoned ones at a junk yard but alas, few B13's in junk yards (a good sign I'd say). I'd check out the switch first. If that seems to be working ok I'd check out the blower motor itself. You'll have to check out some wiring diagrams (good luck getting any that are worth a shit) out of a manual of some type and see if the motor has multiple windings, one for each speed. I doubt it but if it does have multiple windings, your lower speed ones could have shorted out. But my guess is the switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
AC gone bad

The switch for the AC 1-2-3 bad contact. 4 comes on only, yup, I just replace my switch. It is call a BLOWER REsistor switch, 25 damn buck at dealer, but worth it. the switch has a chip sort of at the end, under the glove compartment.
Change em in 5 minutes, my AC comes back colder( I must be delerious).
I had the weird sound on my B14 also, cant seems find the cause.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the Same Problem, I had all my belts changed, alternator, A/C etc. etc. And then it ran smooth and quite. My stuff screached LOUD, it soudned like metal was grnding, but it was just the belt slippping, i replaced it, crackin everywhere, and the grip looked like it had teeth marks because a lot of it was chipped off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts