Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Serious
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my 99 se-l in January of 02 with about 14,000 mi on it.
i am having problems with my rear springs.. they went on meand now my car sits about 2 inches low in the rear.
i just wanted to know if anyone has had this same problems. Nissan want 69.99 for each rear spring & I just wanted to know if its worth it to buy the rear nissan springs or go with the aftermarket ones...I just dont want to spend $140 and have my springs give out on me in another 20,000 mi again...

Thanks
Rob

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i say go aftermarket and get eibachs .. heard they are alot better quality . that or gold lines make nice ones as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your springs gave out?! That just doesn't sound right, springs don't just give out. Did the car sit a bit lower than stock when you bought it? Maybe the previous owner torched the springs in order to lower the car, but even then i don't see the springs just giving out.

I wouln't spend money on new stock springs. Just get a set of Pro-kits or just buy a set of used stock springs from someone here. I'm sure that there are many people here with a set just taking up space in their garage.

What are your plans for you car? Auto-X, drag, looks, rice:D ?

·
Team Serious
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
martin_g34 said:
Your springs gave out?! That just doesn't sound right, springs don't just give out. Did the car sit a bit lower than stock when you bought it? Maybe the previous owner torched the springs in order to lower the car, but even then i don't see the springs just giving out.

I wouln't spend money on new stock springs. Just get a set of Pro-kits or just buy a set of used stock springs from someone here. I'm sure that there are many people here with a set just taking up space in their garage.

What are your plans for you car? Auto-X, drag, looks, rice:D ?

i really can't recall how it was when i bought it i was just so happy to get a sentra with a sr20 in it...but nowthati keep looking at the car i notice things.... but i will go with the aftermarket ......

my plan is a little of everything!!!!!!
:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Then I would just save up my cash and go for the Motivational coil-overs, but if thats too expensive get the GC & AGX combo. That way you'll have good handling and a sweet looking drop.

·
Team Serious
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
martin_g34 said:
Then I would just save up my cash and go for the Motivational coil-overs, but if thats too expensive get the GC & AGX combo. That way you'll have good handling and a sweet looking drop.

my father told me that coil-overs are not safe for the street .....
what is you opinion on them?

·
Registered
75 Posts
my father told me that coil-overs are not safe for the street .....
HUH???!!!

Not at all man. Now, they are not as comfortable as regular springs, but they are in no way unsafe. With coil-overs you should expect the occasional "clunk" and weird noises when going over bumps slowly, but thats about it. I've had them on my car for more than a year and I love them, both on the track and on the street.

Ask your dad why he said that. I would really be interested to hear his opinion. Maybe he knows something that I don't.

Martin

·
Team Serious
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
martin_g34 said:

HUH???!!!

Not at all man. Now, they are not as comfortable as regular springs, but they are in no way unsafe. With coil-overs you should expect the occasional "clunk" and weird noises when going over bumps slowly, but thats about it. I've had them on my car for more than a year and I love them, both on the track and on the street.

Ask your dad why he said that. I would really be interested to hear his opinion. Maybe he knows something that I don't.

Martin
he told me that the ride is way to stiff and in the long run its going to hurt the ball joints, tire rods and alot of other stuff he said... he told me that those were not made for everyday street driving thats why the made them so small and that they also won't last long due to the size and the amount of weight they have to carry.. but he tells me thats what he knows.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
he told me that the ride is way to stiff and in the long run its going to hurt the ball joints, tire rods and alot of other stuff he said...
Well, that is true but not to that extent. I can see how some parts could wear out faster, but thats what happens when you drive your car hard. You don't spend the money on coil-overs to just drive to the store. If you're gonna throw down that kind of cah you better use them. As far as the ride being too rough for the street, this is not true. You need to make sure that you match components correctly. You can't use after market springs with stock shocks because the shocks are not made to handle the higher spring rate. If you have a stiff spring you need to have a shock that's going to be able to dampen the force of that spring. Read up some more on sentra.net or se-r.net for some more info on how suspensions work and this will all start to make more sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts