Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1999 Pathfinder from a local new car dealership. It was a one owner new car trade in and is in immaculate condition. It has 118,000 miles, but the paint and interior are like a new car. It also drives solid and rattle free.Whoever owned it took excellent care of it and must have kept it in a garage. The salesman told me the previous owner was an engineer.
I paid $4900.00 out the door for it...

The only issue is that the high beam indicator is on all of the time. When you switch to the high beams, the right side lights with no problem, but the drivers side high beam is dim.I am assuming that the constant high beam indicator and the dim drivers side high beam are related.

I replaced both bulbs, but that did not help.

The contacts on the passenger (good) side were a little burned, so I will plan on replacing the connector. The drivers side (dim) side looks fine.

I measured the voltage on both high and low beam terminals at the connector on the drivers side and both terminals read 12.4 volts.

I tried switching the passenger and drivers side headlight relays and that also didnt help.

I have read on this forum that the multi function switch is a known problem on these vehicles, but would this effect one side?

Is this switch hard to replace?

Any Ideas??

·
Registered
354 Posts
this happened to me two times in 3 years. i think it is related to the headlight switch and that arm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would a bad multi function switch cause issues with just one high beam??

I see that they sell Genuine Nissan switches online for about $ 57 but want to make sure before I order it.

Is there a way of checking the switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the multifunction switch with a new one from the dealer, but have the same problem..

I bought a Haynes manual with a wiring diagram, but I am not sure which terminal on the bulb is the high beam terminal... With the bulb connectors facing you and the ground terminal on top, which one is the High Beam?

I noticed that one terminal is only getting about 6.5 volts on low beam position.

If I unplug the drivers side connector from the bulb, the high beam indicator goes out.

I also measured the resistance from ground to each positive headlight terminals, and 3 of the terminals showed infinite, but one terminal on the drivers side showed some continuity, although I cant remember how many Ohms it was.. Does this mean there is a short somewhere?

It looks like in the wiring diagram ,the highbeam indicator is connected to the high beam on the drivers side.

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts