Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Maxima and it has 2 problems.

1) My brakes squeak every time I stop at a light. I took it to Les Schwab for their "free" brake check, and the guy told me that my brakes are fine, it's just my brake pads are glazed over and they need to be turned.

So that would be $114.00 to do that. If I do that though, does that guarantee that my front brakes won't squeak anymore??? Should I just wait??

2) I went to Auto Zone and when I plugged in the OBD sensor, it was telling my CPU that my car has a "knock sensor malfunction." Is this a big deal?? Or should I ignore it??

-Mechanically the car runs perfect, so just some friendly advice would be great!!

·
I've had more cars than U
686 Posts
1. if you can do the labor yourself, you can swap the pads and rotors for about that. glaze on the pads can be removed with sand paper. there is no guarantee they won't squeak anymore with out knowing what material they are.

2. it's not a big deal, and I'm guessing you run regular rather than premium. you will need a new knock sensor though, if you want the car to run correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

As far as the brakes go, I don't have the mechanical knowledge to change it, so I'm just going to stick with the way they are.

As far as the knock sensor goes, I use premium fuel, so i dunno why the OBD would say that.

·
I've had more cars than U
686 Posts
well if you always use premium I wouldn't worry about the code right now. once the light on the dash comes on then prepare to pay through the nose to have it replaced if you can't do it yourself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts