Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know the valve lash specs for this motor?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im driving around my dad's car, with 90,000+ on it...and i dont think he ever did a valve adjustment on it so...

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
sorry haven't had a time to check yet... got history final today.

if your car is 95+ model GA then you have hydraulic adjusters. outside of new camshafts I don't think you'll need to get them adjusted. they're capable of being adjusted mechanically by shims but Nissan dealers will laugh at you when you tell them you need them adjusted. they think you can't adjust them which is partially true, but you can.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's interesting, i've never heard of that before.

thanks for the info, I'm still gonna pull the valve cover off and poke around, but I guess i wont be needing to adjust the valves then. thanks

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Hydraulic?

I have a completely disassembeled cylinder head sitting here. It's a direct acting valve train. The FSM recommends checking the valve clearance as part of the 30 and 60K service intervals. I recommend you pick up the FSM, not only does it outline the given tolerances it also show you how to remove the shis=ms without removing the cam shafts. When you do check them, the FSM recommends that you check them when the engine is warm, this way you get accurate readings with expansion.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FSM? I'm assuming that is a ____ Service Manual...

Not to start an arguement or anything, but when I checked valve clearances on my Integra, we and everyone I've talked to always do it cold, because doing it warm was supposed to give you inaccurate readings because of the expansion from the heat...so then when you adjusted it warm, you actually adjusted it to the wrong spec... shrug

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Toda Party said:
____ Service Manual
Factory.

When the car runs, it's warm, so it would seem to me that adjusting the valves when the car is warmed up would give you the correct adjustments for the majority of the life of the car.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHere could I buy a factory service manual? I bought my car used.

·
Registered
351 Posts
samo said:

Factory.

When the car runs, it's warm, so it would seem to me that adjusting the valves when the car is warmed up would give you the correct adjustments for the majority of the life of the car.
yeah, but the specs in the FSM are probably taken from a cold engine with warm engine tolerances, because if they're measured warm then there should be a specific temparature at which to measure clearances

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By Nature said:

yeah, but the specs in the FSM are probably taken from a cold engine with warm engine tolerances, because if they're measured warm then there should be a specific temparature at which to measure clearances
that makes sense

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Re: Hydraulic?

wes said:
I have a completely disassembeled cylinder head sitting here. It's a direct acting valve train. The FSM recommends checking the valve clearance as part of the 30 and 60K service intervals. I recommend you pick up the FSM, not only does it outline the given tolerances it also show you how to remove the shis=ms without removing the cam shafts. When you do check them, the FSM recommends that you check them when the engine is warm, this way you get accurate readings with expansion.
wes, i was trying to get my valves adjusted a while back and had a problem with the local dealership. they kept telling me that the lifters were hydraulic and no need to adjust them... well I talked to Greg at Mossy and he confirmed that they were hydraulic... I have found many places that have said the 95+ GA's were hydraulic. I think it uses the shims for major adjustments...

any ideas? I'd like to know myself (I know everywhere says it's mechanical... but the technicians at Nissan always say it's hydraulic. I just want to know myself what it is for sure.)

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Since I work at a dealership, Ill chime in on this one.

Warm/hot vs. cold - Which ever the manufacturer tells you to. When they give you a cold spec, that spec accounts for the heat expansion.

Here are the specs for the GA16DE - Intake valve/.008 to .019 in, Exhaust valve/.012 to .023 in, These specs are with the engine hot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts