Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked a dozen times but I looked at the last 10 pages of threads and didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a 99.5 Pathfinder 4x4 with a rear LSD, and I don't know what oil to put in it. The owners manual says to use GL-5 SAE 80w-90 for the LSD and does not say anything about additives. I bought some of the cheap stuff at Autozone but the bottle says only use in LSD's to top it off. I would like to change the oil so I need to know what to buy. I am on a very tight budget so i dont really want to buy an expensive synthetic if i dont have to.

Also, if anyone knows, what type of LSD does the 99.5 have? Viscous coupling, clutch, etc? And is there anything that can be easily done to it to make it "lock" stronger for off-road use. I'm not new to working on cars, just new to 4x4's so i've got some learning to do.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
Call up a Nissan dealership, they'll be able to tell you and make sure you have your VIN# ready...just in case...:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
if your pf is equipped with LSD then it's best to get penzoil... otherwise unexpected results may occur. I filled mine (97 pf le) up with generic 80w90 gl5 and it was making weird noises on cornering, so I shopped around for several hours for this stuff

Pennzoil® Gearplus® SAE 80W-90 GL-5

PENNZOIL® GEAR OILS

I found my bottles of that at Fred Meyer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts