Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999.5 Infiniti QX4 125K miles.

OK, I've read the pertinent posts after searching this forum, but I'm still a little up in the air about my suspension issues.

When I go over a moderate bump that my parents' Benzes take with ease, my rear end thumps and seems to internally bottom out. The front end seems a little better, but that could just be because I drive it like an old truck. However, when I enter or exit a gas station with a sloped entrance, the truck will rock side to side.

The truck has spent most of its life in and out of urban environments, so it's traveled its fair share of bumpy roads.

Shutting the driver's door will even elicit side to side rocking! So, I tested the rear shocks by bouncing on the bumper, and they seem to catch at around one bounce. The fronts, not so good. Driving down a reasonably smooth road (I live in the Northeast, so no road around here is that smooth) again gives a lot of feedback in the form of side to side rocking, squeaks from the front end, and lots of bumping sounds, and a little bit of feel from the steering wheel as well.

I also hear a clunk from the front left wheel when steering to lock.

I've set the tire pressure as it should be, and have done my best to make sure the spare tire is secured.

Advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Alright, how old are your struts and shocks?

The swaying is from the rear lower control arm bushings, unless you are failry good with tools and very patient youll probably want to pay someone to do that.

The clunking noise is most likely the strut mount, a little rubber piece that goes around the top of the strut to keep it from moving around, and if that is worn (which is common as the struts approach the end of their life) it will make a clunking noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

The suspension components are original. The rear shocks seem to be OK when I push down on the rear of the car, but they do make a serious clunk when I go over moderate dips/potholes/bumps.

The fronts are not so good. And more bothersome than both of those issues is the constant side to side sway when traveling along any road.

So, are those the only bushing I should be looking into (as well as replacing the struts and possibly the rear shocks)? I'd assume since I, or rather my mechanic, would be "in there" anyhow, there are probably a list of things I'll need to have done.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You would want new strut mounts, get the OEM ones not the KYB ones...new struts, new shocks, and it would be more cost effective to have the mechanic replace the entire lower control arm assembly (x2) and upper control arm assembly (x2) since those are the ones that go bad. The new control arms supposedly have been updated to keep the bushings from wearing out so quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts