Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.6 lt motor in my 98 sentra i have a cold air intake and exhoust headrs i run my r.p.m's to 4 on my car ,but i want to know if i can take my r.p.m's any higher than that with out missing uo my transmission can you help me?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
........above 4 thousand rpm? .........yes lol. i belive our fuel cut off is 6.8k

also, RPM's dont damage the tranny, they can damage stock engine internals.

think about this.....even if your at 10k rpm in first gear your tranny wont be going as fast as if your in 5th gear at a steady 5k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.6pete said:
........above 4 thousand rpm? .........yes lol. i belive our fuel cut off is 6.8k

also, RPM's dont damage the tranny, they can damage stock engine internals.

think about this.....even if your at 10k rpm in first gear your tranny wont be going as fast as if your in 5th gear at a steady 5k.
so tell me what can i run them to
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
i told you, the fuel cut off is around 6.8k rpm you can go above that without a JWT ECU reprogram, or unless you downshift from 5th to 2nd doing 70mph, and if you do that you will throw a rocker arm.......maybe a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.6pete said:
i told you, the fuel cut off is around 6.8k rpm you can go above that without a JWT ECU reprogram, or unless you downshift from 5th to 2nd doing 70mph, and if you do that you will throw a rocker arm.......maybe a few.
what type of car do you drive is it a nissan sentra
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
1999 nissan sentra, GXE-LE, platnum silver, only mods is a Place racing CAI. its a strong little engine belive me......just dont abuse it and keep the revs high! if it hits the limiter every now and again its not going to hurt anything, but if you leave that SOB screaming for a minute its not gona like it (just like any engine)
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
sentra 98 said:
what type of car do you drive is it a nissan sentra
I want to say that if you want better answers to your questions you should try and use title's that give us insight into the question. You have two posts with the SAME title that are totally different subjects. This does not help us as we are browsing the forums.

The second part deals with our red-line. Look at your tachometer (if you have one) and you shold shift before the motor gets to the red-line which is around 6700 RPM's. It is safe to drive it to that level...

Lastly we don't have rocker arms..... so you won't blow them but you make make a mess of the bottom end...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wes said:
I want to say that if you want better answers to your questions you should try and use title's that give us insight into the question. You have two posts with the SAME title that are totally different subjects. This does not help us as we are browsing the forums.

The second part deals with our red-line. Look at your tachometer (if you have one) and you shold shift before the motor gets to the red-line which is around 6700 RPM's. It is safe to drive it to that level...

Lastly we don't have rocker arms..... so you won't blow them but you make make a mess of the bottom end...
my car did not come with a tach so i put one on it that is why i did not know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wes said:
I though that might be the case. Well now you can set your shift light or the red-line on your new tach...
its just that when i take my rpm's to 5 the motor sound kind of forced does your car do that.
 

·
My ass, your face
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
sentra 98 said:
its just that when i take my rpm's to 5 the motor sound kind of forced does your car do that.


my GA does it and my SR does it.....its perfectly normal...plus u have mods that increase the cars noise level, so its natural. no harm. 5k rpm's is childs play kinda. shifting at 5k rpm's daily driving is ok too, just not great for gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cHoPs said:
my GA does it and my SR does it.....its perfectly normal...plus u have mods that increase the cars noise level, so its natural. no harm. 5k rpm's is childs play kinda. shifting at 5k rpm's daily driving is ok too, just not great for gas mileage.[/QUOT

what is a mod that can increase my hp alot can i port and polish it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
nothing will give you insain gains other than turbo. for any other questions go here www.sentra.net these are many baisic questions, if you read that entire site you will have a much greater understanding of your car, once you read that please feel free to ask many more questions. i was given the same link as a newb and it really really helps :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
1.6pete said:
also, RPM's dont damage the tranny, they can damage stock engine internals.

think about this.....even if your at 10k rpm in first gear your tranny wont be going as fast as if your in 5th gear at a steady 5k.
So even if the trip is like 150miles long going at 10k rpm in first gear (pretending the car stock engine internals could handle it for that long, Lol) the trip wouldn't damage teh tranny?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
no, it would blow up your motor. in 1st gear at 10k rpm you would be going about 60 or 70..............you go that fast every day on the highway, why would that do anything bad to your tranny? :confused:

this is the reason for gears, when your engine starts to rev to fast you shift and the transmission slows the engine speed down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
1.6pete said:
no, it would blow up your motor. in 1st gear at 10k rpm you would be going about 60 or 70..............you go that fast every day on the highway, why would that do anything bad to your tranny? :confused
no I don't drive like that, just wondering if a girl was driving my car when I am not aware of her driving my car and she does drive like that. Just want to know if I need to replace the tranny also if that does happen.
 

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
Joined
·
4,227 Posts
sentra 98 said:
so tell me what can i run them to
I have a 97 1.6 GXE and just added a tach. I was suprized to find that I was running the engine up to 6,000 plus in normal spirted driving.
Since I have the Tach I am actually shifting lower, around 5k.
I also tried the limit, and ran it up to the fuel cut off. Nothing bad happens.
Yes noise gets more intense, but thats normal.
So I would say 5 k is perfectly OK while accelerating, and of course highest gear possible for cruising. I cruise at 3,000 to 3,600 in 5th gear on the freeway.
Good luck.....
 

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
Joined
·
4,227 Posts
itsG.A.riffic said:
my"spirited driving" usually takes place at about 3k-5.5k cvt is on at 3k (i think) and theres not much (sotp) "power" past 6k on the ga
Yes agreed, I think the variable valve timing switch over points are 4k and the Nissan nanny cuts it back at 6,800 rpm but could be wrong, what i remember from the board here.
I am observing my shifts have a pattern, 5-6 K in First to Second, 5K 2nd to 3rd,
4k 3rd to 4th.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top