Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first off sorry if these questions have already been answered in old posts but I haven't found anything in my searches and I'm just realizing there seems to be some decent performance upgrades for the pathy's. I've owned a few in my day but it's been the farthest thing from my mind whenever I buy a truck.. My veedubs on the other hand almost always immedietely recieve a full aresenal of performance upgrades from cams to engine swaps, to custom built tranny's :)

My questions are about some of the upgrades at 4x4parts dot com. Has anyone here done the ECU upgrade on their 96+ pathinfder? how much HP is expected? is it worth it for a relitively stock setup?

How about the throttle spacers.. do they really work or just a gimmic?

Anybody have any dyno chart comparisons (relating to ANY upgrades) they'd like to share?? :) :cheers:



Rabbit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
rabbit121 said:
Has anyone here done the ECU upgrade on their 96+ pathinfder?
No one has done it as far as I have heard. The only thing close is the Venom 400 Performance Control Modules. It's suppose to add 25% more hp. But who knows. I personally wouldn't mess with the ECU. It's complicated enough.

rabbit121 said:
How about the throttle spacers.. do they really work or just a gimmic?
They work for carburated engines, but do nothing on fuel injected. Get a K&N Aircharger.

rabbit121 said:
Anybody have any dyno chart comparisons (relating to ANY upgrades) they'd like to share??
If you want a fast SUV, buy a 3.5L V6 model, and get the Stroker kit:
http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=vq35stroker

It's good for about 400 NA hp, and should be bulletproof up to 1,000hp+ with a turbo set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't really have the money for the 250 hp pathy or I would have got one instead of my 98.. my father was going to buy a 2001 SE a few weeks ago and I took it for a rip, if I had double the $$ to spend their is no doubt I'd go that route but for now I plan on keeping my chilkoot and improve what I can.

it came with a K&N already BTW.. not a cone filter, just the stock replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
rabbit121 said:
OK first off sorry if these questions have already been answered in old posts but I haven't found anything in my searches and I'm just realizing there seems to be some decent performance upgrades for the pathy's. I've owned a few in my day but it's been the farthest thing from my mind whenever I buy a truck.. My veedubs on the other hand almost always immedietely recieve a full aresenal of performance upgrades from cams to engine swaps, to custom built tranny's :)

My questions are about some of the upgrades at 4x4parts dot com. Has anyone here done the ECU upgrade on their 96+ pathinfder? how much HP is expected? is it worth it for a relitively stock setup?

How about the throttle spacers.. do they really work or just a gimmic?

Anybody have any dyno chart comparisons (relating to ANY upgrades) they'd like to share?? :) :cheers:



Rabbit

JTW Technology offers cams for it. They are pricey and need to be combine with cold air intake and exuast. Don't mess with the ECM on a daily driver. I'm going to order a spacer for my frontier soon. The cams and head work i did add about 30hp in conjunction with the other stuff.....headers would really wake up my truck, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything like that.
 

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
Joined
·
445 Posts
mrklasel said:
JTW Technology offers cams for it. They are pricey and need to be combine with cold air intake and exuast. Don't mess with the ECM on a daily driver. I'm going to order a spacer for my frontier soon. The cams and head work i did add about 30hp in conjunction with the other stuff.....headers would really wake up my truck, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything like that.
A good start (in my opinion) to the foundation of an improved performing vehicle and i think this is what everyone is indirectly implying for a daily driver anyway...

Shortram or Cold intake
Header(s)
and catback exhaust combination

These three will make a noticable improvement, the gains varely widely from "barely worth the money" to "damn that feels better." depends on the vehicle

Just my take on it..

PS: obviously if your going beyond this.. whether it be forced induction, Nitrious or whatever, professional consultation is recommended
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I'm definitely staying away from turbos and nitrious.. I just want a few simple NA mods for now.

I'm probably going to stay away from the cold air intake as I live in canada and its not so good once winter rolls around... I'm assuming my pathy does have a hot air pickup right?

I do want to makup a custom duel exaust though.. who makes good headers for the pathfinders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Chedman13 said:
No one has done it as far as I have heard. The only thing close is the Venom 400 Performance Control Modules. It's suppose to add 25% more hp. But who knows. I personally wouldn't mess with the ECU. It's complicated enough.


They work for carburated engines, but do nothing on fuel injected. Get a K&N Aircharger.



If you want a fast SUV, buy a 3.5L V6 model, and get the Stroker kit:
http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=vq35stroker

It's good for about 400 NA hp, and should be bulletproof up to 1,000hp+ with a turbo set up.
Spencer Low Racing has a large bore throttle plate for 3.3L engines. It says that you can get a 25HP increase when used with their cams. Will that actually do something as opposed to a throttle body spacer. Of the listed, how much of that would actually come from the larger plate and how much would it come from the cams? My thinking is that the majority of it is the cams?

Anyone tried it or have comments?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Nobody makes headers for 96-up Pathfinders. Sorry. They don't exist unless you make them yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh... that's what I thought.

I guess that earlyer post was refering to headers for a frontier..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just at the nissan dealer and one of the guys who's really into performance stuff was telling me a couple of his customers have done ECU upgrades on the 3.3 and it really made a noticable difference..

unfortunetly he didn't know what brand or place did them...



just thought I'd post that incase someone was interested as it looks like not many people here have tried it...
 

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
Joined
·
445 Posts
rabbit121 said:
I was just at the nissan dealer and one of the guys who's really into performance stuff was telling me a couple of his customers have done ECU upgrades on the 3.3 and it really made a noticable difference..

unfortunetly he didn't know what brand or place did them...



just thought I'd post that incase someone was interested as it looks like not many people here have tried it...
Reason being is that it doesnt make sense to modify an SUV's ECU, unless your trying to achieve performance levels beyond NA mods... for example NPM's project pathfinder, in its stock form.... is a mediocre tow vehicle at best... with fine tuning they turned it into a decent tow rig, and a smart daily driver. Unless you have a specific performance goal in mind.. messing with ECU is like playing with fire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't know if I would call it "playing with fire" if your dealing with a reputable place... I've done it to the last 3 cars I've owned and it worked great and never had a problem. And it's one of the easyest mods you can do btw as long as you don't have to disassemble 3/4 of your truck to get to it.

I think the problem here is that it's an SUV and most people arent overly concerned with performance as they are with trying to fit a 32" tire so they don't take the risk. And I don't blame them if no one else tries it first. especially from the no name companies that are offering for pathys.

and neither will I LOL... not unless I can find a spare ECU for cheap first.

:cheers: :cool:
 

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
Joined
·
445 Posts
rabbit121 said:
I don't know if I would call it "playing with fire" if your dealing with a reputable place... I've done it to the last 3 cars I've owned and it worked great and never had a problem. And it's one of the easyest mods you can do btw as long as you don't have to disassemble 3/4 of your truck to get to it.

I think the problem here is that it's an SUV and most people arent overly concerned with performance as they are with trying to fit a 32" tire so they don't take the risk. And I don't blame them if no one else tries it first. especially from the no name companies that are offering for pathys.

and neither will I LOL... not unless I can find a spare ECU for cheap first.

:cheers: :cool:
true true, dont we all agree pathfinders kick ass?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jarek said:
true true, dont we all agree pathfinders kick ass?

indeed they do :)


Lol I just discovered my pathy does NOT have a K&N! I was going to pop it out to clean it since I seen the K&N sticker on the air box and low and behold I pulled out a genuin nissan filter... I bet someone at the dealer swiped it when the truck came in lol.. guess I'll be ordering one of those tomorrow...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top