Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' Pathfinder XE, and the problem I'm having is shaking at idle or stop. I had this problem since the beginning of the year and no mechanic can find the cause of the problem, I took it to the dealer twice, the first time they told me its the distributor, cap, rotors & spark plug wires that have to be changed, I did but the problem continues.

The second time I took it to a different dealer and now their telling me that It might be the computer (ECM) that's going bad because its giving them wierd error codes ?

If anyone can please advise or help me on proceeding on changing the ECM this would be very helpful.

thank you !

·
3,553 Posts
Don't you love how dealerships like to throw expensive parts at problems until they go away? An ECU/ECM is about $1000 new...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
stylez1r said:
I have a 98' Pathfinder XE, and the problem I'm having is shaking at idle or stop. I had this problem since the beginning of the year and no mechanic can find the cause of the problem, I took it to the dealer twice, the first time they told me its the distributor, cap, rotors & spark plug wires that have to be changed, I did but the problem continues.

The second time I took it to a different dealer and now their telling me that It might be the computer (ECM) that's going bad because its giving them wierd error codes ?

If anyone can please advise or help me on proceeding on changing the ECM this would be very helpful.

thank you !
Make sure it's nothing mechanical; like a broken motor mount.

Does it have a "miss", is that what's making it shake?
What is the idle speed?

You might want to try a compression check to evaluate the heath of the cylinders.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If they were seeing error codes ask them for the specific errors, then post back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
88pathoffroad said:
Don't you love how dealerships like to throw expensive parts at problems until they go away? An ECU/ECM is about $1000 new...
yes, its $1,017.00 plus labor ?

thanks !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kstt said:
If you wanna go with an ECU, get a salvaged one from this site:
I saved myself $800. Its under the dash, and I understand that its child's play to change out yourself.

http://www.car-part.com/
kool, what do you think, could it be that the ECM is going out and is causing this problem ??? also isn't there any settings/programming I have to make to the replacement ECM ? or just plugs in and works ?

thanks !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jerryp58 said:
Make sure it's nothing mechanical; like a broken motor mount.

Does it have a "miss", is that what's making it shake?
What is the idle speed?

You might want to try a compression check to evaluate the heath of the cylinders.
mechanics say its a type of miss firing which makes it shake ... another my regular mechanic checked the valve compression and that's not it ...

the idle speeds go up & down from 600 - 750 rpm when waiting at stop sign or light, but when slightly accelerate while holding down the brake it goes away then goes back down to 600 - 750 rpm's and so on ?

thanks !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lewisnc100 said:
If they were seeing error codes ask them for the specific errors, then post back.
HERE ARE THE ERROR CODES ON THE DEALERS REPORT GIVEN TO ME:

P1336, P0340 CAM SHAFT & CRANK SHAFT POSITION CODES, CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL ???

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ?

THANKS !

·
Registered
80 Posts
stylez1r said:
HERE ARE THE ERROR CODES ON THE DEALERS REPORT GIVEN TO ME:

P1336, P0340 CAM SHAFT & CRANK SHAFT POSITION CODES, CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL ???

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ?

THANKS !

I had this same problem on my 98 pontiac bonneville v6 with the Cam shaft error codes. and engine shaking.

my problem was the oxygen sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts