Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the belt tensioners last night on the 98 pathfinder. everything looked good, let it idle away for 15 minutes.

Took it for a test drive around the 'hood, accelerated going up a hill and BANG. Sounded like somebody hit my door with a hammer. Limp home, pop the hood, found a dangling belt. Hmmmm. Then spied a smooth harmonic balancer. Went back witha flashlight, but coupldn't find it. Went inside and opened a couple adult beverages.

Walked down the street this AM. Lying in the snow (with a cool curved arc leading to it) was the HB....

Anybody ever seen this before?
Ted

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
"smooth harmonic balancer" ? did you lose the crank pulley or a tensioner?
The tensioner for the alternator is smooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the tensioner. I replaced both of them oon Friday night....and it's not the crank.

The HB _had_ 3 grooved pulleys, now it's only got one. The pair that popped off are sitting on the passenger seat at the moment. I can see the rubber damper that acts as an insulator.

I'd put a couple pix up but the forum doesn't let me.....

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
We've had a few instances where we thought it was bad belts or bad pulleys and it wasn't! It was a bad crank pulley (harmonic balancer), that separated, just like yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's d purpose of the harmonic balancer? Also, if the damper rubber needs to be replaced, what symptoms on the car shows up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts