Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced my neighbor the other day in his Grand Am. I dont know what kind exactly, i know it is the 3.4 V6 but it isnt the GT. Anyway, at least to 70 my se-r is quicker. My car has an intake, the old hotshot headers, and some kind of custom 2.5 exaust with some Apex'i muffler. I dont really know anything about it other than it has a huge tip. Im not really all up on the aftermarket stuff. But I was surprised at how well it did against him. I have driven his car before and it feels faster than mine. So I was not expecting to beat him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my friend also has the 98 grand am 3.4 v6 and we race at th track for fun ... he's only about 1 sec faster (in the 1/8) than me and thats when i had a blown clutch, wouldnt grab 2nd for shit , and i own a ga16de with the usual cai and free flow exhaust.( stock pipe). ive now fixed the clutch put on a hotshot header and soon up sizeing the pipe ... i think il be closer to his times. but inside the car it feels way faster than mine ...

·
Registered
321 Posts
That'd be '99 or newer if it has the 3.4L.......

Pre 99, they had a different bodystyle and a 3.1L V6 (or 2.4L DOHC 4).

A freind of mine has a 2000 Grand Am SE......bone stock it ran consistant 15.7's and 15.8's at 86-87mph. It would be faster, but you either hit the 2nd gear rev limiter, or force a shift less than 100ft before the line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmm im not sure i know what your saying but 2nd gear is the noticable one at the track cause i shirt into third just befor the finish line and it didnt grab much either but i had more momentum. i replaced my clutch and it was really worn out and also the rear main bearing ws leaking oil into the tranny bell housing ... im sure it had something to do with my clutch f***ing up. i know cause i did the install myself . i couldnt do past 4k rpm after it started slipping and i couldnt get a god grab at the begining either ...

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BIGBULS said:
That'd be '99 or newer if it has the 3.4L.......

Pre 99, they had a different bodystyle and a 3.1L V6 (or 2.4L DOHC 4).

A freind of mine has a 2000 Grand Am SE......bone stock it ran consistant 15.7's and 15.8's at 86-87mph. It would be faster, but you either hit the 2nd gear rev limiter, or force a shift less than 100ft before the line.
I didnt know what year it was, I just know it is the new body style with the 3.4. I thought he said it was a 98. But whatever.

And my car isnt totally stock. It does not have much but it is better than nothing.
I dont know from personal experience what kind of times that they (Grand Ams) run but C&D tested a '99 Grand Am GT that hit 60 in 7.7 and 1/4 in 16 even. I know they share the same motor, but it seems strange that the SE would be quicker than the GT.

I didnt hit the 2nd gear rev limiter (never have) And It was a fair race.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No no no.......the GRAND AM is stuck either hitting the 2nd gear rev limiter (at 86mph), or shifting *just* before the line (his trap speed is only in the mid 86's to low 87's). If it could hold off the shift a little longer (higher rev limit), the car would be faster.

As for the GT being quicker than the SE, they normally are (most run mid 15's stock at the dragstrip). They claim an extra 5hp out of the engine (not particularly true....they dyno the same), and they DO have a 3.29 axle ratio vs the 3.06 found in SE's........this lets them get out of the hole a little easier. They also have the "sport" suspension, 225/50R16 tires standard (option on the SE's) and a 126mph governor vs the 106mph governor on the SE...plus some interior goodies.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a ride in his grand am yesterday and something is wrong with it now. It has some kind of clicking noise. He doesnt know what it is but it sounds like a turn signal clicking. Sometimes it is slow and sometimes it speeds up. But it does it constantly. It is really annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts