Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to change the locked hub plates on the front for automatic hub on my 1997 pathfinder

Is there any disadvantages to run automatic hubs instead of none or manual ?

I have a 4runner with manual hub and i hate them altough they work 100% fine, so id like to get some automatic hub for the pathy.

Is there any older pathy that i can take auto hub from ?

My idea is to save on gas with that.

thanks for any inputs.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the auto hubs will not save you on gas. they do have auto hubs available but they are more prone to failure than manuals.
why do you say that ???

i assume that not having the whole front differential/half shaft into rotation will save on gas.

At least, on my 4runner, when i disable the front hubs i can feel it right away that there is something not anymore in need of rotating, and i DO save a lot on gas.

did you ever try to rotate the front wheels with hub on and hub off ?? hell of a difference in resistance to rotate. its like having the brakes partialy stinking all the time...

please explain.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why would you drive on streets with the hubs locked? thats bad for the drive train. with the hubs in the free position the only way the axles turn is if you have it in 4wd.

I have never seen a nissan with fulltime hubs. but I suppose it is possible.
well, you are probably miss informed because most pathfinder that i know have lock plates, ie, no hubs at all. it is an option here to have either maunal or automatic hub on theses (Quebec, canada).

It doest not hurt unless you are in 4x4.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.