Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to change the locked hub plates on the front for automatic hub on my 1997 pathfinder

Is there any disadvantages to run automatic hubs instead of none or manual ?

I have a 4runner with manual hub and i hate them altough they work 100% fine, so id like to get some automatic hub for the pathy.

Is there any older pathy that i can take auto hub from ?

My idea is to save on gas with that.

thanks for any inputs.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i would like to change the locked hub plates on the front for automatic hub on my 1997 pathfinder

Is there any disadvantages to run automatic hubs instead of none or manual ?

I have a 4runner with manual hub and i hate them altough they work 100% fine, so id like to get some automatic hub for the pathy.

Is there any older pathy that i can take auto hub from ?

My idea is to save on gas with that.

thanks for any inputs.
well you have drive flanges, which are "locked" all the time...As far as I am aware only manual hubs are available for the pathfinder, maybe the auto hubs from a WD21 Pathfinder would work, I am not sure but that is probably your best bet...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the auto hubs will not save you on gas. they do have auto hubs available but they are more prone to failure than manuals.
why do you say that ???

i assume that not having the whole front differential/half shaft into rotation will save on gas.

At least, on my 4runner, when i disable the front hubs i can feel it right away that there is something not anymore in need of rotating, and i DO save a lot on gas.

did you ever try to rotate the front wheels with hub on and hub off ?? hell of a difference in resistance to rotate. its like having the brakes partialy stinking all the time...

please explain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would you drive on streets with the hubs locked? thats bad for the drive train. with the hubs in the free position the only way the axles turn is if you have it in 4wd.

I have never seen a nissan with fulltime hubs. but I suppose it is possible.
well, you are probably miss informed because most pathfinder that i know have lock plates, ie, no hubs at all. it is an option here to have either maunal or automatic hub on theses (Quebec, canada).

It doest not hurt unless you are in 4x4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 95 Pathfinder with auto lockers which evidently don't work. I got stuck yesterday and with the 4WD engaged neither front wheel was spinning. I read on an earlier post that the autos are prone to failure. Is it possible to put manual hubs on in replacement of the auto ones?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have a 95 Pathfinder with auto lockers which evidently don't work. I got stuck yesterday and with the 4WD engaged neither front wheel was spinning. I read on an earlier post that the autos are prone to failure. Is it possible to put manual hubs on in replacement of the auto ones?
I heard the same thing too, auto locking are more prone to failures. Never have I ever seen auto locking hubs on a true 4x4 out in the bush. They all have manual locking hubs. And yes again, you can yank out the auto locking and replace with manual locking.

I hate my auto locking hubs on my 95 Pathfinder. You gotta back up about 12 feet just to disengage them. That sometimes doesn't work, gotta back up further!

·
3,553 Posts
So, is it just a matter of unbolting the auto hub, removing the associated parts and bolting the manual ones on?
Yes indeed. The kit will come with everything you need (there is no other kit needed, like a spindle nut kit for Fords) but be forewarned: the studs that come with Warn hubs break VERY easily. I used bolts on mine instead of the studs and they work great. I broke three studs just trying to install the hubs the first time.

I've never seen automatic hubs for a Nissan past 1995.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced them and it was pretty easy. Didn't have any problems with the studs. Now if I could only find somewhere to mput my cup of coffee for the drive to work. Have to check and see if there are any threads on cup holder fabrication. The crap in the armrest/console doesn't work. What a stupid idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts