Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sentra runs really loud, engine wise. Its quieter but not much after 30min or so. But its still loud compared to my friends 94 sentra. Is it because its its a different engine or because my engine is worn out? Does any1 know how to fix this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
could be a small exhaust leak... sounds like it goes away after a while, that could because the exhaust pipe/flange whatever is leaking heats up and expands causing the gap to close some so its not as loud. Look, listen, and feel your way down the exhaust system from the manifold all the way back for where its louder, see if you can see any exhaust, and when i say feel, just run your hand along beside the pipe and feel for any exhaust puffing against your hand, not like grabbing the pipe, that could be bad. :p

Thats just one idea... i'm sure others will have some more idea's to what it oculd be, it could be just something as simple as yours being OBD-II and his is OBD-I... not sure if thats the case though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You description is kinda vague. Engines dont just get loud because they wear out, unless youre getting weird noises like knocking/clanking and crap. What exactly is louder? When does it get loud? How do the sounds compare? Its hard to give advice without not knowing where to begin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for your replys...hmm when i start the car i hear the engine roaring..im sure its not the exhaust system...i hear pinging/clicking noises, is that normal? and also when the engine is idling, my car shakes including the steering wheel, any ideas how to fix that? again thanks for your help, im very new to cars, sorry

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
I'm pretty sure that slight vibration is normal for older cars.. My car vibrates a little because of the engine (and maybe old engine mounts?)

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
kahoots said:
thanks for your replys...hmm when i start the car i hear the engine roaring..im sure its not the exhaust system...i hear pinging/clicking noises, is that normal? and also when the engine is idling, my car shakes including the steering wheel, any ideas how to fix that? again thanks for your help, im very new to cars, sorry
At the very least, your engine is probably running a low idle. That can cause a shaky steering wheel at a dead stop. Also, my car started doing all the same things that yours is right before my exhaust cam went 'buh-bye'. Try checking the timing chain for tension and making sure the timing gears are in good shape. For further troubleshooting techniques, you should buy a Haynes or a Chiltons manual. Almost everyone who's been here for a while has one and they're handy just to look through (bathroom reading, anyone?). Good luck and keep us updated! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts