Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 sentra that needs to have the timing chain kit installed. I have been told by the prior owner that all I need is the kit installed. The car quit running due to this problem. I am wondering if I would be better off just swapping the motor out or going ahead in doing the repair to the existing motor.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
93 Posts
patvickers1 said:
I just bought a 97 sentra that needs to have the timing chain kit installed. I have been told by the prior owner that all I need is the kit installed. The car quit running due to this problem. I am wondering if I would be better off just swapping the motor out or going ahead in doing the repair to the existing motor.
eather way its a bitch to do if u dont know your mechanics and if u pay some one to do it its probably going to cost an arm and a leg or mabye a small child......... id do whats ever cheaper but if there is damage due to the broken TC than id swaper out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
luckysperm said:
eather way its a bitch to do if u dont know your mechanics and if u pay some one to do it its probably going to cost an arm and a leg or mabye a small child......... id do whats ever cheaper but if there is damage due to the broken TC than id swaper out
I am not worried about the work involved (I can do it all myself). I am really concerned with the part cost, if it is an interference type motor then I will just shop for another motor. By the time I pay for the machine shop and parts bill plus my time it won't be any savings. But if the motor is a non-interference type then the only real part cost should be the timing kit. Anybody know for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
patvickers1 said:
I am not worried about the work involved (I can do it all myself). I am really concerned with the part cost, if it is an interference type motor then I will just shop for another motor. By the time I pay for the machine shop and parts bill plus my time it won't be any savings. But if the motor is a non-interference type then the only real part cost should be the timing kit. Anybody know for sure?
Anybody know what year engines are a direct bolt in swap, or a swap with just switching the mainfolds from the old engine to the new one?
 

·
Come here often?
Joined
·
767 Posts
Interference. If the motor has high mileage and/or possible damage from timing chain failure and you have the ability then swap the motor. I think 97 is OBD-II so I believe you're going to want another OBD-II motor. I think they switched in 96, but don't take my word for it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
93 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
93 Posts
try searching under the words sr20 or swap or something im sure its been posted somewhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
luckysperm said:
try searching under the words sr20 or swap or something im sure its been posted somewhere

Ok so it sounds like I am looking for another motor. Anyone know what the changes are from the obd I to the OBD II motors are? If the only changes are in externals then I should be able to buy a motor from a 94 to 99 and change out the stuff right?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top