Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i just found out my 97 sentra won't pass the ny state inspection because of an issue with emissions. i'm not sure, but it seems to me like an 11year old nissan should not have to have its emissions gear replaced. i have a feeling something might not be connected right, but i'm not even sure where the emissions gear is located. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
why did it fail ?
Did the ECU throw a code ?
Is the Check engine light on ?
Even if odd ge tthe code read at an Autozone.
Surely the paperwork should tell u what failed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yes, the check engine light is on. the mechanic told my wife the problem was was some _____burator (not carburator) and the casing of the same. both would have to be replaced. parts would be around $400 and labor another $300 to fix (probably high, but we live in westchester).

thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
well go and get the code read.
often its nothing more than dirty connections, MAF ( others reported) and TPS ( me)
When you know whats wrong we can move forwards.
there is a chance if you clear the code it wont come back for a few weeks, you have to drive for a few hours before the inspection after you clear the code.
But get the error codes read and post them here.
you are looking for codes like P0400, !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the codes

there are two failures: p0440 and p0446.

the mechanic i took the car to said he'd have to do a thorough check to find out where exactly the problems were and then it could be hundreds of dollars in parts and labor. too expensive for me.

how does one clear the codes just so it can pass inspection?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Here is what i found so far.
Try changing your fuel filler cap and make sure you tighten it down.

P0440 and 0442:
Evaporative emissions sense a fault when there is a leak(it reads negative atmospheric pressure from the fuel tank pressure sensor), when it senses a leak it will set the engine light.
this indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
to clear the code; a code reader can clear them,
OR you can do it yourself.
Disconnect the battery, it takes a while, i have read 1 to 4 hours.
two hours did it for me.
then you have to re-set the ECU before you take it in...
heres a cut from a thread with the shortest way to get the ECU ready....

From Philb00....

"What I did :
Another mechanic reset/turned off the CEL light ( I had the 0500 VSS code showing up)... I drove my car thru the official OBDII re-cycle steps (see my other post) and put on about 20+ miles under the strict steps for rebuilding obd data for the car's ECM.
The speedo was working and acting normal (except one time when jsut starting up early morning - had to play around with odometer reset buttonstick)
I only drove it about 45 minutes or less and went immediately to gas station.

I will try to type up the 13 steps I used (but not have lots time now)...
Basically was - start with engine cold (ECT < 158 F ) coolant temp
Start engine (ohh suposed to have a scanner hooked up and running during this driving time - I don't have nor a Tach - they have bunch of tach data to follow too)
(So I just used the mph specs they give)
idle 1-2 min
Drive city like 3 minutes vary speeds
Highway drive 50-58 mph 3 minutes with OD on
then stop
IDLE for 10 minutes
Stop engine for at least 10 seconds
STart up and immediately hit highway
Drive 55-70 mph 3 min w/ OD Off and AC on
then cruise highwy 55-70 for 3 min w/ OD on and AC OFF
then come to stop -
Idle for at least 2-3 minutes. Shut off engine
Then start engine and pray CEL lite not come back on.
CHeck code - if does and repair.

(I did all above best all from memory ) - will re-post better more exact when get paper out of my car.

Main thing I noticed was to Idle for 2 minutes then later 10 full minutes (can hear your fans kicking in while idling) and to use turnon/off the OD (overdrive) and AC on/off during highway driving (50-70 mph ).
These were main things going on during the 13 steps.
Went to this good guy inspector and I passed (barely)... Only one of the 4 Monitors
was marked "Not Ready" (fail) but 3 of the 4 were Ready (passed) AND
I had no "hard" faults (meaning CEL light on) (DTC error code) come up.
(the CEL light was still off and did not come back on)

This is inspector told me I could getby/pass and get sticker even "if 2 Monitors are out"
I had just one out I guess.... It was the Cat Converter (as it is listed on state computer and paper handed back to me after passsing)

Anyhow... those strict 13 steps of rebuilding the OBD ECM monitors helped me alot so to enable get me a sticker (for at least another year)
and get by....

Thanks to this good guy inspector and having that "secret" list of 13 steps to rebuild the OBD ECM computer in the car."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

IanH,

Thanks much. Will try all this out myself tomorrow. By the way, I did get a new gas cap today. It was one of the suggestions my mechanic gave me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can't clear codes - cel still on

this week i unhooked the battery for an hour on two occasions. the cel light remained on. last night i disconnected the battery and this morning the cel light was still on after i turned the engine on. twelve hours of being disconnected from the battery did nothing. it didn't even flicker.

i guess the next step is for me to clear the codes using a scanning tool. or does the fact that the cel won't go off mean there's a nother problem? maybe one that i could fix. as i said before, the codes it was saying were problems were 440 and 446. i already changed the gas cap.

any ideas?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Maybe it did clear but immediately reset because the problem is still there ?
yes try to get it cleared with a code reader.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the saga continues

so i had the code -- the new gas cap seems to have solved the p0440 problem and only the p0446 showed up -- cleared by a scanner at a shop. after driving for about an hour and performing the checklist to get the obd ii reset i returned to the mechanic's shop and parked out front. as soon as i went to turn the engine back on to move to the inspection spot, the cel came back on.

the mechanic felt sorry for me and decided to trace this p0446 code to the source. after checking some manuals on his computer, he raised my car and took a light to an area behind the back left wheel. there he pointed to an unconnected set of small cables and an opening on a canister. something was / is clearly missing.

so the canister is the evap canister. and what's missing is the sensor valve. i'm going to stop by the nissan parts store on monday and see if i can pick one up.

i hope this does the trick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also - the pcm

also, if i have to reset the code once i put on a new valve, i hear the pcm has a scew i could adjust that could clear it out. is that true, and if so where is the pcm located on a 97 sentra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
also, if i have to reset the code once i put on a new valve, i hear the pcm has a scew i could adjust that could clear it out. is that true, and if so where is the pcm located on a 97 sentra.
If it is like the 98 year, It's on the floor under the dash in the middle of the floor, behind the center console, with a black plastic cover over it. take the cover off, you'll have to lift the pcm out, and you will see the reset screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts