Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems when ever I press the brake, or release the brake their is a click coming from the gear shift/emergency brake area?
My mechanice seemed not to notice it, and when I took it to the place were I bought the car they say its normal? The say its part of the gear shift lock system.
I guess its normal when I first turn on the car and shift gears, but is this normal when driving the car, to hear a click from that area every time I press or release the brake?
If anyone has a 97 Sentra with the similar click please let me know, and I will stop worrying about it, haha.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you sure you aren't just hearing the brake light switch clicking? I think it's located up under the dash at the top of your brake pedal. Can you hear the clicking even when the car is off?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
welcome to nissanforums.com

please use the appropriate forum next time ;)

we have a brakes and suspension forum located further down if you scroll :)

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
muideka said:
It seems when ever I press the brake, or release the brake their is a click coming from the gear shift/emergency brake area?
My mechanice seemed not to notice it, and when I took it to the place were I bought the car they say its normal? The say its part of the gear shift lock system.
I guess its normal when I first turn on the car and shift gears, but is this normal when driving the car, to hear a click from that area every time I press or release the brake?
If anyone has a 97 Sentra with the similar click please let me know, and I will stop worrying about it, haha.
Thanks in advance!
You have an automatic transmission, right? I didn't know about this til recently, but that's apparently the shift lock solenoid (yeah, I don't have much experience with automatic transmissions). My friend's MX6 does the same exact thing. He's the one who finally told me what it was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much for all the posts.
i was finally able to get it breifly looked at by someone and they say it is indeed the shift-lock solenoid.
however the shop wont be able to get this fixed untill a week. so i have some new questions?

*is this safe to drive for a week with the brakes making the shift-lock solenoid click while i drive it?

*this is a used car i just bought, so i'm wondering is this somthing major? and a bid deal to fix? or is this just a small malfunction that should be no problem to repair?

thanks again for all the posts, you all have been very helpful!

chimmike-i will check next time, but maybe it was best that i posted here, because i sounds like a year specific problem, and not a brake problem, but i will double check next time, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts