Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all(time reflects pst)
I was recently given a 97 Pathfinder by a friend. Although extremely kind and generous of him it was it has been a nightmare troubleshooting the several issues that came with it.
So the biggest issue I’m dealing with right now is that it won’t start. First allow me to give you some background. So with my friend gave me the pathfinder he told me sometimes she won’t start, what you have to do is turn it on, put it in neutral(at this time it would only start in neutral) and wiggle the wires underneath the steering column to the right side well turning the key.
Which has held true until a of couple days ago. Now, sort of hitchhiking on the back of that issue is the electric door locks don’t work(about 90% of the time). But every once in a while I’m sitting in the car and the locks engage and disengage on their own.
Stay with me I’m new at auto repairs as well as forums, I’ve had to have it jumped and twice while being hooked up to another battery the alarm has gone off and I had to start it to shut it off. It may have no connection to the other problems but being as I don’t know I thought it could be useful information when troubleshooting.
I’ve checked all the wires under the steering wheel where the sweet spot had been and only found one wire that could be the culprit. It’s a black wire with a yellow stripe. I remove the two extensions and re-soldered the original wire with only one extension.
Still nothing. Can anyone help me out with hopefully a solution or if not that some ideas where to start. Unfortunately it is my only vehicle and therefore I am “up the creek” without it running. Thank you in advance.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,819 Posts
It sounds like there is a connector issue by your description, but you need to get a plan to diagnose the problem(s). It sounds like when you turn the key, the starter does not crank the engine. If that's the case, it's usually a pretty simple diagnostic procedure. NICO Club will have a free, online, factory service manual for your vehicle at their site. Go to the "Starting and Charging System" section and it will have a "no-start" diagnostic procedure for you to follow as well as a wiring diagram for the starting system. If the other problems are related to the starting issue, you will probably fix them, as well, as you repair the starting issue. If not, the FSM will have wiring diagrams and diagnostic steps for those problems, as well, in other sections. You'll also want to have a 12v test light and a multimeter to diagnose the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts