Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Rack and pinion started leaking and fluid is slowly coming out of the boot on driver side. I am looking to change this on my own.

I know how to change this for the most part, but I saw online someone mention locking the steering wheel so the clock spring doesn’t damage. What do they mean by locking the steering wheel? Any other tips on the replacement?

After replacing it, I just add back new fluid in the reservoir?

I am thinking about buying a Cardone remanufactured online. Saw it for $190.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
Once you disconnect the steering column from the rack & pinion, it's possible to turn the steering wheel until you go to far and damage the wiring of the clock spring (a.k.a. "spital cable"), so you want to either let the steering wheel lock into position with the key in the off position, or, run a wire or rope between the brake pedal and steering wheel so the wheel will only turn so far. Since it's only leaking, you could just add fluid, but it wouldn't be bad idea to flush the system so you'll have all new P/S fluid in it. Before you start the engine, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right about 10 times to work the air out of the system before starting. Make sure you use the appropriate fluid, which can be either red transmission fluid such as Dexron III/Mercon or NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or genuine Nissan P/S fluid. I usually use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF. Do NOT use clear or amber colored P/S fluid in the system. Cardone's remans are pretty much a crap shoot as far as quality. I see Rockauto carries AC Delco and BBB; I would go with either of them before I'd take a chance on a Cardone. I would also get a couple of new, Moog outer tie-rod ends to go with it and new mount bushings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once you disconnect the steering column from the rack & pinion, it's possible to turn the steering wheel until you go to far and damage the wiring of the clock spring (a.k.a. "spital cable"), so you want to either let the steering wheel lock into position with the key in the off position, or, run a wire or rope between the brake pedal and steering wheel so the wheel will only turn so far. Since it's only leaking, you could just add fluid, but it wouldn't be bad idea to flush the system so you'll have all new P/S fluid in it. Before you start the engine, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right about 10 times to work the air out of the system before starting. Make sure you use the appropriate fluid, which can be either red transmission fluid such as Dexron III/Mercon or NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or genuine Nissan P/S fluid. I usually use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF. Do NOT use clear or amber colored P/S fluid in the system. Cardone's remans are pretty much a crap shoot as far as quality. I see Rockauto carries AC Delco and BBB; I would go with either of them before I'd take a chance on a Cardone. I would also get a couple of new, Moog outer tie-rod ends to go with it and new mount bushings.
thanks for the help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a side note: It seems that both input and output ports are the same size, so during assembly, don't cross them.
Thanks for the heads up will note that.

I am still trying to figure out which brand to buy. Most of them are remanufacture such as Acdelco, Cardone, and BBB. I saw a new one on Rockauto called Ultra Power, but have not heard of them.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,791 Posts
Thanks for the heads up will note that.

I am still trying to figure out which brand to buy. Most of them are remanufacture such as Acdelco, Cardone, and BBB. I saw a new one on Rockauto called Ultra Power, but have not heard of them.
I've used ACDELCO stuff with no problems plus they have a 24 month warranty and core return; that's my pick. The Ultra Power being a NEW unit, could be a cheap China import.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
I'd go with AC Delco, personally. Ultrapower sells parts under their name sourced from multiple manufacturers, so you never sure what you are getting. But, they have low prices, for what it's worth!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts