Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally I’ve experienced a hard start that is accompanied by a slow crank. The Rpms slowly rise up roughly.

Doesnt happen on first starts of the day. It mainly happens if the vehicle is started, turned off and then restarted soon.

I had a hot start stumble about 4 months ago which went away after running a can of bg44k through. Should I put another can in?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
This sounds like the, start, move 20ft, stop, restart problem. had this with two 97s, sentra and Ser plus 2003 pathfinder.
This is due to over rich starting mixture and shuting off before it can be burnt off.
This was a well documented problem here in the day.
I learnt to "dont do that" !
BTW my 2018 doesnt seem to do that, but I will admit I havnt pushed my luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sounds like the, start, move 20ft, stop, restart problem. had this with two 97s, sentra and Ser plus 2003 pathfinder.
This is due to over rich starting mixture and shuting off before it can be burnt off.
This was a well documented problem here in the day.
I learnt to "dont do that" !
BTW my 2018 doesnt seem to do that, but I will admit I havnt pushed my luck.
Is it normal for this to happen?

Anything that can prevent this from happening besides not shutting off right away?

Sometimes I have to move the vehicle a short distance, such as bringing in and out garage.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,010 Posts
Occasionally I’ve experienced a hard start that is accompanied by a slow crank. The Rpms slowly rise up roughly.

Doesnt happen on first starts of the day. It mainly happens if the vehicle is started, turned off and then restarted soon.

I had a hot start stumble about 4 months ago which went away after running a can of bg44k through. Should I put another can in?

Thanks
I had an "on and off" stumbling problem with my '91 240SX for quite sometime; tried the BG44K; fixed it for about 6 months. The final solution was to replace all the fuel injectors.

In your case you may have one or more leaking injectors that cause raw fuel to enter the cylinders; this causes what's called a hydrostatic lock condition which makes starting extremely difficult; the engine barely turns, if not at all. To justify this condition, a good way to test for leaking fuel injectors is to Tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel filter outlet and the fuel rail. Turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE; wait about 10 seconds, then turn the ignition key to OFF. The fuel pressure reading should be around 43 psi which would be a static reading. Now watch the gauge; if it starts dropping down fast, that's an indication of a fuel injector(s) leak.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Is it normal for this to happen?

Anything that can prevent this from happening besides not shutting off right away?

Sometimes I have to move the vehicle a short distance, such as bringing in and out garage.
my 97 senta, 97SER from new, and 2003 pathfinder from 2004 all did this. It was reported on the forums as a common issue.
If this is leaking injectors, then all must leak from that time frame.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this something I can live with or can I try replacing the three outer ones? The other three are under the plenum.

I am hesitant to open that up now as those plenum screws sometimes seize after all these years. And then on top of that the egr valve.

·
7,010 Posts
Is this something I can live with or can I try replacing the three outer ones? The other three are under the plenum.

I am hesitant to open that up now as those plenum screws sometimes seize after all these years. And then on top of that the egr valve.
Before you condemn the fuel injectors for leaking, run the very simple test I outlined in my previous post:
"A good way to test for leaking fuel injectors is to Tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel filter outlet and the fuel rail. Turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE; wait about 10 seconds, then turn the ignition key to OFF. The fuel pressure reading should be around 43 psi which would be a static reading. Now watch the gauge; if it starts dropping down fast, that's an indication of a fuel injector(s) leak."
The pressure should hold fast for at least 5 or more minutes. So if they're not leaking, you might be wasting your money/labor and finding out that was not the fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the issue with the rough, slow startup happened twice yesterday with the engine failing to start once. Check light came on.

I got the code P0135 O2 Heater Circut Bank 1, Sensor 1.

·
7,010 Posts
So, the issue with the rough, slow startup happened twice yesterday with the engine failing to start once. Check light came on.

I got the code P0135 O2 Heater Circut Bank 1, Sensor 1.
Either the heater circuit harness connector is open or shorted or the heater element inside the sensor is bad. Bank #1 is on the right side of the engine and it's the top O2 sensor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either the heater circuit harness connector is open or shorted or the heater element inside the sensor is bad. Bank #1 is on the right side of the engine and it's the top O2 sensor.
Thanks Rogoman.

could this be a possible culprit of the random issues upon startup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts