Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I spent 7 hours working on my Pathy today. We replaced the front struts, rotors, brake pads, outer bearings, inner bearings and inner bearing seals. I also replaced one of the CV joints that had a torn boot. We also replaced both rear shocks.

After all of that work, I got into the Pathy and took it for a spin. Almost immediately I noticed a grinding sound. It is definitely coming from the front, but I cannot distinguish if it is on only one side. There almost seems to be two noises. One is an OMG what is wrong with your car blood curdling loud metal grinding. The other sounds like a light scrape (possibly brake pads scuffing on the rotors). The noises do not start and stop with braking. It will make the metal grinding noise while accelerating and coasting and braking. It is not always constant, it will grind and then stop. Braking doesn't seem to have an effect on the noise, if I am coasting and it starts to grind, applying the brakes doesn't change the noise other than slow the speed of the grinding (does that make sense?). If I take it up to 40+ MPH I don't hear it. It is not a constant noise, it comes and goes. Sometimes it will start when turning, or it will make the noise and then stop when turning. I have looked at the outside of both of the rotors through the rims, but did not notice any excessive scratching. I haven't been able to look at the interior sides of the rotors yet due to the dust shields.

All of the bearings were packed with wheel bearing grease.

We are planning on taking off the front wheels tomorrow and looking into it. I understand there could be some noise as the new rotors and pads are broken in, but in my (novice) opinion it sounds much worse than that.

If anyone has any experience with something like this it would be greatly appreciated. All of your suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks to everyone on this board. I have not posted on here much (if at all), but I have used the search to look into alot of discussions. I have gained alot of knowledge from reading these threads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, figured it out. The passenger side rotor was rubbing on the rotor's dust cover. Just a little metalsmith love on it, and its fixed.

I have read that some people remove those rotor dust covers. Any people that have them removed, do you have any trouble with braking due to the covers removed? Like mud or other stuff picked up from the road getting stuck on the rotor?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would think the main purpose of the dust cover would help to keep the rotor a little drier when it's raining to decrease the stopping distance. It probably helps to keep the brake hoses from degrading from the brake dust, but if you wash it regularly, which I never do, that wouldn't be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts