Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Pathfinder SE has a manual transmission that seems to be on the fritz. The sound only happens for the first two or so minutes of driving and more so when it is cold. When I apply power in reverse it starts to grind/squeal, and it used to be the end of it when I shifted to 1st, but now more and more often it is making the noise in first too. The noise seems to go away if I rev the engine a little. The car seems to shift just fine between all gears after it has been running a little bit. The dealer in the area thinks it might be the throw out bearing, but says they would have to hear it to make a difinitive diagnosis. Does anyone know what my problem is likely to be? If it's important I have 104K miles. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since this thread looks so familiar, I'll cut & paste my original reply:
Check for vibrations in the heat shields. They often get noisey after a few years, at certain rpms. Also, look to be sure your fan or belts aren't hitting the shroud - sometimes the different torque that reverse applies is just enough to make the fan blade hit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kstt said:
Since this thread looks so familiar, I'll cut & paste my original reply:
Check for vibrations in the heat shields. They often get noisey after a few years, at certain rpms. Also, look to be sure your fan or belts aren't hitting the shroud - sometimes the different torque that reverse applies is just enough to make the fan blade hit.
I looked, but that isn't the problem. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Clutch noise when disengaged (pedal out) in N or gear = pilot bearing ->Not a critical part

When engaged (Pedal in) Release bearing (throwout bearing)

Start motor. allow idle to settle. Push in clutch and listen for noise. Work pedal repeatedly. listen. Let pedal out. listen. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
79kz400 said:
Clutch noise when disengaged (pedal out) in N or gear = pilot bearing ->Not a critical part

When engaged (Pedal in) Release bearing (throwout bearing)

Start motor. allow idle to settle. Push in clutch and listen for noise. Work pedal repeatedly. listen. Let pedal out. listen. :)
Thanks....what if the noise is made when the pedal is both in and out. Does that mean that both bearings are going or just one? Is the throwout bearing critical or not so much?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts