Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck wouldn't star t the other day. Turn the key and nothing. If you kept clicking for a while it would turn over,
Got a new starter and Solenoid Switch (used) put it on, worked fine for a day then the same thing. I can hear the switch clicking but the starter is not spinning??? It could be faulty to, I don't know???
I hear something click up by the relay switch so I assume that is working, is there any way to test for sure.

Can I test my starter and solenoid just on my bench by putting 12v to it.

Thanks so much for any answers.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,673 Posts
what is a solenoid switch??
and why did you but a new starter and a used solenoid switch..

check all connections and take the starter to auto zone and they will test it free of charge..

·
Registered
13 Posts
My truck wouldn't star t the other day. Turn the key and nothing. If you kept clicking for a while it would turn over,
Got a new starter and Solenoid Switch (used) put it on, worked fine for a day then the same thing. I can hear the switch clicking but the starter is not spinning??? It could be faulty to, I don't know???
I hear something click up by the relay switch so I assume that is working, is there any way to test for sure.

Can I test my starter and solenoid just on my bench by putting 12v to it.

Thanks so much for any answers.

You should be able to test the starter by the means you suggested. I've tested fuel pumps and other things that way.

Chances are the starter you purchased was not "new". Most auto stores actually sell remanufactured starters. These remanufactured starters have been known to be faulty from time to time. If the starter isn't spinning as you suggested I'll bet you got a dud.

Where did you get it from? Try using the "tapping" method and see if it spins when testing it or before you remove it from the truck.

I am confused about the new starter/used solenoid though. You purchased a "new" starter that did not have a solenoid on it?

Also just an FYI for those interested. Starters can overheat if you try to start the car for an extended period (if you keep the key cranked to the start position too long). Overheating will cause damage.

zanegrey:
The solenoid is the switch that connects the starter to the battery. The solenoid is mounted on the starter. It all looks like a single unit. When you hook the wires to the starter you are actually hooking wires to the solenoid.

When you turn the key to start, the starter control circuit is activated. If the clutch is depressed (manual tranny) or in neutral (auto tranny) the relay connects battery power to the solenoid and the starter spins.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion. I bought a used starter from a scrap yard and the solenoid attached with it. So both were "new" to me...but used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I bought a used starter from a scrap yard and the solenoid attached with it. So both were "new" to me...but used.

Gotcha. I prefer to buy starters from a store. It may cost a bit more but I feel like the warranty that accompanies it is worth the extra money. But hey, maybe your guy will warranty the part too (if that's the problem).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts