Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, a friend of mine just got a '03 jetta 1.8 turbo and we've been talking smack about eachother for a while now, so we decided to settle it. i got two runs at it since the first time i was in neutral when the light changed and he wasted me in his automatic. next time i was ready and in 1st. i had him and was a little ahead at the start but he pulled forward and i knew i had no chance. much closer than he thought it would be though. i figure i get exhaust and a CAI and i would be right with him...ah next time..
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
1.8Ts are tougher than you think ;) With a chip alone, even an auto can hit 14s if launched right.

And a chip would bring it to over 200hp at the crank with gobs of torque! A little thougher than the 1.6L, exhaust and intake help, but don't give you that much HP. You should be able to out handle the jetta, but definately not in the straightaways with just bolt-ons.

Even stock gives over 180 (it's underrated) Dynos show they put down over 160whp.

GL next time
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if the 1.8 T's are that powerful, i'm wondering how accurate that 115 hp stat on the 200 really is since i really didn't lose too badly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Is the car brand spanking new. If it has below 3000 miles the motor hasnt boken in properly. a 1.8T can run a 1/4 in mid to high 15's.I raced on in my freinds classic Se-R. A jdm motor versus a 1.8t with header and intake. Best race i ever had . My time was 14.89 his was 14.99. What a close race. THose fucking things can move if driven properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
alright im lost, a GA16 was racing a 1.8T that has 160whp stock and a GA with a little over a hundred barely...seems to me it just doesnt come close...and how did it come close? the compared horsepower just doesnt compute..i mean im just giving my opinion and i really need to be proven wrong. Even with me having CAI and exhaust i still dont think i could measure up to a 1.8 turbo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one reason was probably because his jetta was an auto, mine was stick and i was shifting a little past redline, i really don't have any mods, but am getting a v chip this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
blu is right its kind of strange that you would be able to keep up with the jetta like you said. not that i dont believe you, but that thing should be able to pull on you pretty good. one thing that would make it closer is if he wasnt shifting manualy and had his traction control on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the v chip is this chip you put on the intake sensor and it increase the fuel/air ratio. its supposed to give you up to 20 more horse so it should help my 1.6. alright well maybe the closeness thing is what i need to explain, by close i was about 50 feet behind him at about 50mph. i don't know, his jetta is 800 lbs heavier then the sx and all he's got is .2 and a turbo on me...i know that's still a lot but it really was close in the race
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
SeSoonSe-R said:
Is the car brand spanking new. If it has below 3000 miles the motor hasnt boken in properly. a 1.8T can run a 1/4 in mid to high 15's.I raced on in my freinds classic Se-R. A jdm motor versus a 1.8t with header and intake. Best race i ever had . My time was 14.89 his was 14.99. What a close race. THose fucking things can move if driven properly.
A 1.8T with a header? Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
akk51 said:
the v chip is this chip you put on the intake sensor and it increase the fuel/air ratio. its supposed to give you up to 20 more horse so it should help my 1.6. alright well maybe the closeness thing is what i need to explain, by close i was about 50 feet behind him at about 50mph. i don't know, his jetta is 800 lbs heavier then the sx and all he's got is .2 and a turbo on me...i know that's still a lot but it really was close in the race
Could someone else confirm this v chip? why dont alot more of us have one? i doubt it makes that many horsepower but im gonna leave it alone before i get too negative. ive never heard of a v chip.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
akk51 said:
well, a friend of mine just got a '03 jetta 1.8 turbo and we've been talking smack about eachother for a while now, so we decided to settle it. i got two runs at it since the first time i was in neutral when the light changed and he wasted me in his automatic. next time i was ready and in 1st. i had him and was a little ahead at the start but he pulled forward and i knew i had no chance. much closer than he thought it would be though. i figure i get exhaust and a CAI and i would be right with him...ah next time..
wait....you're telling me that once you get exhaust and a CAI on your 1.6 you'll be able to stick with a TURBO jetta??

wow.....smoke much crack?

I had intake/exhaust/pulley on my 1.8 sentra on the interstate, and a turbo stock jetta pulled away from me like I was standing still. Auto or not man, that turbo ownz you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i still probably wouldnt win but i could be right with him definitely, you gotta believe me his jetta did not beat me by much(50 feet). i don't know if stock for stock a 1.8 sentra is much faster if any than a 1.6 200. sentras way quite a bit more than 2300 lbs like the 200. the v chip, well yea it most likely wont do anything but for 8 bucks i couldn't turn it down. i'll tell you if it works at all
 

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
You dont have a turbo so i dont expect you to know much about them because I dont have one and I dont know much about them, but if you go turbo your better off automatic than stick so he should have whomped your ass. And I believe he did. You see, if he drove right he can get the turbo to spool all the way before he is off the line and keep it spooled between gears. If its stick you have to lose the turbo and respool. I think your giving us a load of BS. I have a 1.6 just like you and I know its slow so I dont even bother with it let alone lie about it. Good luck next time tho.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top