Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, nobody mods this ecu. JWT won't touch the obdII and says change it out to a 96, cop out.
AEM has ecu's for all nissans but two 97 models, one being the ga16 sentra and the other the 97 ga16 200sx.
I am not feeling any love from our aftermarket.
I am not buying an entire ecu for the model-year before and also re-wiring and changing a multiplicity of sensors and bungs etc... and buying all that too.
If the aftermarket wants our money they will have to design an ecu for my car for my model year and engine.
Don't get me wrong, I like JWT products and have their flywheel set-up, but it just blows that you can bolt on all this stuff and yet nobody can help you tune it (ecu wise).
Next time I buy a car that I will undoubtedly want to mod, it will be a car everyone else is modding like a CIVIC (just name it it's for a civic) or a SUBARU WRX STi or Ford FOCUS SVT or something someone makes crap for!
IT WILL PROB. Not be a NISSAN.
Ever wonder why cars that already have over 300hp need modifying?
I think the cars with less than 150 are the ones that really need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe AEM will have one out eventually.
Maybe I'll just go to ITT tech an design my own (prob be out before theirs!)

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Time to go junkyard digging.. there must be someone with an older ECU out there on the classifieds, too. Would prolly be pretty cheap.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
DanTheMan said:
So, nobody mods this ecu. JWT won't touch the obdII and says change it out to a 96, cop out.
AEM has ecu's for all nissans but two 97 models, one being the ga16 sentra and the other the 97 ga16 200sx.
I am not feeling any love from our aftermarket.
I am not buying an entire ecu for the model-year before and also re-wiring and changing a multiplicity of sensors and bungs etc... and buying all that too.
If the aftermarket wants our money they will have to design an ecu for my car for my model year and engine.
Don't get me wrong, I like JWT products and have their flywheel set-up, but it just blows that you can bolt on all this stuff and yet nobody can help you tune it (ecu wise).
Next time I buy a car that I will undoubtedly want to mod, it will be a car everyone else is modding like a CIVIC (just name it it's for a civic) or a SUBARU WRX STi or Ford FOCUS SVT or something someone makes crap for!
IT WILL PROB. Not be a NISSAN.
Ever wonder why cars that already have over 300hp need modifying?
I think the cars with less than 150 are the ones that really need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe AEM will have one out eventually.
Maybe I'll just go to ITT tech an design my own (prob be out before theirs!)

You didn't research this much did you? SOME of the 97 ECU's can be modded. Do you have a cat on your manifold, or is your car a california car? If no then JWT should be able to do this ECU.

If YES then you can get the 95-96 federal ECU and use it instead, they can be had used for CHEAP and the switch over is not very hard, in fact if you looked JWT has the instructions for doing it on their site so you can see exactly what is involved.

If you not wiling to do the wiring then that's your own fault. Not everything will be as you want it, some mods require more work than others. So if you want to turn a screw and make 20 HP then buy an EVO or WRX...

·
Registered
258 Posts
theres alot of stuff out there. you just have to search. for ecu, since jwt does obd1, not obd2, try checking out the apexi s-afc. i have it on my car and it works great. but its not plug and play. you have to tune it on the dyno. they have it for a good price on ebay. click on computer chips and type in apexi and it will show a couple of them.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
i dont get it...i have a 96 200? are you guys saying that my car is obd1?

well technically, i have a 96 ecu running a 97 engine...cause i water-locked my 96

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ecu Woes

Ok OK! I can get a cheap 96 from a wrecking yard. Wiring is not that bad and I have the conversion instructions from JWT. It is a 97 OBDII but it's not the Cali emission version.
I had a cat on the manifold (the stock manifold) but now I have the hot-shot header (tri-y) and HS CAI to match. I've done everything I can bolt-on except for Nos or Turbo. I have heard the AFC was helpfull and would love to tune it on a dyno (not a cost problem) to get it right but have also heard of people frying their engines with it as well.
I have no knowledge of how to tune an afc myself and doubt the dyno rental people would be very helpfull. How hard is it to tune and does it come with detailed insructions on tuning or just a wiring diagram?
After puting the HS header and custom 2 1/4" pipes with an SE-R cat change out (more flow less restricting than SE cat but it was not cheap) I hate to have to buy $200 worth of sensors and pay someone to weld on my new header so they will fit.
AEM says there is an ECU in the works so I'm going to take the patient route, only because I know I can tune it daily and not have to air-mail my ecu back and forth for every change, plus the HS turbo kit is then do-able without worrying about changing all the sensor bungs and re-wiring to an early ecu (which I would have to change back for emissions due to OBDII) and go back and forth re-wiring and un-wiring etc....
With the AEM I can just snap in the ecu and snap out the ecu (a must for emissions tests) this is not a track car it's a driver. Has anyone with the change-out to 96 passed emissions? Does anyone know if it will? EXACTLY why is should be snap-on to factory harness, you will eventually need the stocker back in there to pass!
And the convenience of tuning with a laptop at home can't be beat! Even by JWT. I have also heard they take forever to actually get to it!
So I will bide my time, save for the HS turbo kit and wait for the AEM ecu so I can actually run it!
She runs good now especially after a good timing advance to 14-15 BTDC and an idle adjustment.
I am getting 130hp based on weight and acceleration calculations but no dyno yet.
Are the stock fuel maps really that bad? I know it's designed for economy unless you're at WOT and then it's a little rich at WOT at least, thats what my A/F guage shows, but I wouldn't want it lean at WOT for sure.
I don't think I would worry about moot anyway unless the TURBO from HS goes in. Will a better fuel map give me what 2-5hp? Not worth the trouble then, unless turbo.
Why can't HS just throw in a piggy-back ecu for the turbo kit? You know, so when you spend the 5G's for their stuff you can actually run it? Ha!
I can use that as a nice down payment on the WRX. For 5G's I could do an SR20DET with tranny change out and make more power when all is said and done plus have an engine with a turbo already installed. (of course a different engine won't pass emissions either so you see my prob.)
I guess you can't do too much without making it a trailer queen and only driving it at the track. Oh well, gets me to work, sounds good, has alot more than stock hp and a system, WTF, I'll keep er' street legal, maybe get the afc, just better come with tuning instructions or it's going right back.
I do like the apexi brand, just wish they had more english instructions.
Thank you guys for the info/input it was all constructive, I just have the UGLY DUCKLING model-year ecu nobody loves.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Let me get this. If you have a 97 ecu with a cat at the mani (not cali)you have to use a 95-96 fed ecu. What if you relocated the cat to the middle? Could you still get the 97 ecu tuned? Or is the 95-96 ecu your only option for jwt tuning with a 97 car? I haven't got that far yet and noticed this post. It would be helpful to have this cleared up. I don't see why they couldn't tune it.Project 200 sxse is a 98. You might have to wait longer to get it back. If the problem is sensors and the cat thing well if you got a 97-99 ga and moded to a h/i/e then to keep the mil from going off reloctaed the cat and rear o2 then whats the deal in getting the 97 up ecu tuned. No need to switch pins on the ecu harness or to switch to a 3 wire o2(rear local), Not that that would be hard to do. But it doesn't make sense to me why they could not do it. I thought all obdII cars could have there ecu reflashed as long as their is a program to read them..?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Weather or not you have to use an earlier ECU depends on your car. Cat on the manifold = yes. Here are the JWT instructions, this will help you understand what is involved and why the change is necessary. And reading is the issue with reprogramming the later ECU's.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ECU

Neverming, AEM just posted their stand-alone plug and play EMS for the 97 200sx 1.6.
Now I just have to save for the 1600 dollar plus part.
Snap in, Snap out.
Comes with stock fuel maps and a quick map program, plus I can change anything anytime with a laptop connection and not have to play mail tag.
Might consider the UEGO version with the wideband sensor that won't freak the stocker ecu when I pop it back in for emissions.
This is the ONLY way to go baby!
So how much can I expect through tuning the maps?
Anyone have a wild guess?
It will also remove/raise rev limits and speed cut(already removed by me)

Cheap speed cut; find the speed out on your guage cluster (this goes to the ECU after the speedo gets the signal) put it on an on/off switch.
Start car with it on, turn off at will. When parking flick it back to on before turning off the engine. This should help prevent codes and you may still get a code if you use it two trips in a row but a $100 scanner can read and clear it no problem.
You still get a speedo reading but the computer doesn't know how fast you're moving. hehehe.
Oh yeah, the switch cost me $9 at pep-boys and it's got a red flipper on it like a protected nos switch. ($9 speed cut eliminator heheheheheheh)

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
DanTheMan said:
Neverming, AEM just posted their stand-alone plug and play EMS for the 97 200sx 1.6.
Now I just have to save for the 1600 dollar plus part.
Snap in, Snap out.
Comes with stock fuel maps and a quick map program, plus I can change anything anytime with a laptop connection and not have to play mail tag.
Might consider the UEGO version with the wideband sensor that won't freak the stocker ecu when I pop it back in for emissions.
This is the ONLY way to go baby!
So how much can I expect through tuning the maps?
Anyone have a wild guess?
It will also remove/raise rev limits and speed cut(already removed by me)

Cheap speed cut; find the speed out on your guage cluster (this goes to the ECU after the speedo gets the signal) put it on an on/off switch.
Start car with it on, turn off at will. When parking flick it back to on before turning off the engine. This should help prevent codes and you may still get a code if you use it two trips in a row but a $100 scanner can read and clear it no problem.
You still get a speedo reading but the computer doesn't know how fast you're moving. hehehe.
Oh yeah, the switch cost me $9 at pep-boys and it's got a red flipper on it like a protected nos switch. ($9 speed cut eliminator heheheheheheh)

If you are putting this on a NA car I would be SURPRISED as all get out if you could make more power than the JWt ECU with the AEM unit.

Here you are crying about the wiring change and this is your "better buy/other scenario".... Man you "truly have a dizzying intellect"...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wes said:
If you are putting this on a NA car I would be SURPRISED as all get out if you could make more power than the JWt ECU with the AEM unit.

So, being tuned on a dyno with a fully tunable ecu is worse than a stock reflash program off the dyno? You need to pass that around man!
Who wants to rewire and change sensors every time they need to pass emissions?
And yes, it can make more power than jwt because they run it really rich which means you just fill the tank more and waste gas. (stock reflash)
Anyway, I'm done with this subject, AEM has it out now, we now have an option besides JWT. THIS IS VERY ENCOURAGING to 1.6 owners.
Don't fall into the reflash trap, you keep paying and keep waiting.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
DanTheMan said:
wes said:

So, being tuned on a dyno with a fully tunable ecu is worse than a stock reflash program off the dyno? You need to pass that around man!
Who wants to rewire and change sensors every time they need to pass emissions?
And yes, it can make more power than jwt because they run it really rich which means you just fill the tank more and waste gas. (stock reflash)
Anyway, I'm done with this subject, AEM has it out now, we now have an option besides JWT. THIS IS VERY ENCOURAGING to 1.6 owners.
Don't fall into the reflash trap, you keep paying and keep waiting.
I didn;t say that in the least. I am saying that on an NA GA16 application the AEM is a waste. You'll be hard pressed to make more power than the JWT setup. DOES tune conservatively so that people like you with little to no real world tuning experience DON'T blow their cars up...

And you DO NOT need to switch everything around to pass emissions. I have a JWT ECU with the MSD 50 lb program, Cobra MAF, and EGR resistor and my car just passed emissions.

This is not a bash on the AEM product, but you need to get over your problem with JWT because it is just that, your problem. Why don't you go back to the forced induction section and post in the other thread????

JWT

·