Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question #1. Am looking at a 2000 frontier king cab, 4 cyl ,5spd. Can anyone tell me what to expect in MPG in city vs. highway driving?..................Question #2. How does the 2000 4 cyl engine with compare with the 96 4 cyl engine? thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
squarepeg said:
question #1. Am looking at a 2000 frontier king cab, 4 cyl ,5spd. Can anyone tell me what to expect in MPG in city vs. highway driving?..................Question #2. How does the 2000 4 cyl engine with compare with the 96 4 cyl engine? thanks
......ITS a 2 wheel drive........

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 2000 4-cyl (KA24DE) is essentially the same engine, except for the dual-overhead cam 16v, whereas the '96 is the SOHC 12v (KA24E). Other than that, there's hardly a difference.

If I remember correctly, the 24E makes 136hp, and the 24DE makes 145hp or somewhere close. Just a bit more power, but I honestly can't feel the difference. I've compared my '97 which has the SOHC to my brother-in-law's 2000 Frontier, both 5-speeds, and they don't perform any different.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had a 97 2wd sohc hardbody SE and I now have a 04 dohc frontier and they are about the same around town but the frontier seems to pull harder at higher rpms which i credit to having the dohc head.
The hardbody seemed to have just a bit more low end power but i think it had a lower final drive ratio.
On paper they make the same peak torque of 154 ft lbs but the sohc comes in at 3600rpm where as the dohc coms in at 4000rpm so that may have somthing to do with it.
On the highway again is where the dohc really seems to shine over the sohc.
It will cruise at 90 all day with minimal effort. The sohc wasent bad but still not as good but again that may have somthing to do with the axle ratio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MPG of 2 wheel vs. 4x4?

Anyone know what difference in MPG is between '00 frontier 2 wheel 5 spd.vs. ''00 4x4 5 speed?......How about MPG difference in both of above with automatics? Been looking at a couple but wonder if automatics are quite a bit less. thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go look it up on edmunds.com ->Used cars ->reserach price and specks. all located in the upper site toolbar just below the header.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts