Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into my great condition, '96 300zx N/A after work tonight and it won't start. The keyless remote unlocked the car. I got in and turned the key in the engine, as usual. The engine made a brief sound, then everything went dead.
I did not leave the lights on, but I thought my battery was dead for some reason. I called someone over to jump start my car, but my hood won't open (never had a problem opening hood before). The hood lever pulls all the way, but the hood never pops open.
The keyless remote does not respond anymore. I tried locking my door with both the key and the remote. The key fits in the lock but when I turn it, it doesn't engage or disengage the lock. I had to manually push the lock and close the door. However, the only way I was able to get back in the car was through the trunk (which opened with the key).
What's the matter? Anyone know? Is it the standard security system on the Z? If so, how do I disengage it? The key won't activate the locks in the door. Any immediate help would be appreciated! Timm

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi, im having the same problem on my 1990 Z and im trying to fix it. im 75% sure its the alarm. although it could be a relay.....(theft relay, or starter relay), i would check into that. it sux over here, im in new england and were getting hit bad with snow storms, cant work on my car. if you need to know where your alarm system is, its under the carpet on the passenger side floor. that section of the carpet under the glove box is held on my velcro, and you have to unscrew what looks like a cheap plywood door, and there will be three boxes. the big one on the left is the main computer(ecu), the theft warning control unit(alarm), and im not sure about the other one.....lol. the alarm is the small box right and up of the main computer.if you figure out how to fix it, let me know. not having a car is killing me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZcarObsession said:
i was told it might also be a bad set of battery terminals......
Thanks, ZcarObsession. I think you're right about that. After fooling around under the hood, I think it has to do with the battery connection. Good luck with your Z, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my car started today after being idle for 3 weeks, and i fooled around with the door a little bit. i noticed the insulation on the hook that locks the door to the car was worn, and there was contact with the metal. i looked online to see how the locking mechanism on the z cars was configured, and i believe i found that to be the problem. when the car is unlocked, the door is grounded. when locked, the connection is cut, and the alarm kicks in. since the car was not grounded properly, the car thought it was locked still so my car would not start. i could be wrong, this is only as theory. just to be safe, i will replace the battery terminals and the starter. i hope you "struck gold" with your car, let me know how everything goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad your car is back up and running. It must've sounded good to fire it up! My problem was fixed with new battery terminals. All is o.k. now.
Hope the snow has died down for you. I grew up in MA, so I remember how it is in the Winter. Take care of the Z. :cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
thank you timziv, im getting my terminals tomorrow, tonight i had to have a few drinks, sorta like a celebration of my car actually moving.......lol. im glad your problem is fixed, lets just hope my problem is the terminals, and not anything major.............like the engine. well, im off, i would still have the wiring checked.......you never know when something will go wrong with a car 10 years or older.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter question

ZcarObsession said:
thank you timziv, im getting my terminals tomorrow, tonight i had to have a few drinks, sorta like a celebration of my car actually moving.......lol. im glad your problem is fixed, lets just hope my problem is the terminals, and not anything major.............like the engine. well, im off, i would still have the wiring checked.......you never know when something will go wrong with a car 10 years or older.
I was wondering if the bolts on the starter for a 1993 300zx were reverse threaded at the factory

1 - 9 of 9 Posts