Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the other day while driving home I noticed a couple of thunking noises as I was pulling out of my friend's driveway. I didn't really hear or feel anything at speed. When I slowed and downshifted to pull into my own driveway I felt a bit of resistance to the shift and more clunking as I began turn. I assumed...bad idea...that it was my CV's. I popped the car up in the air and yanked them both. One had a torn boot, and the other some major cracks so wasn't going to be long till it tore. I rebooted them. Checked trans fluid level, reinstalled everything. Started to back up and I got about 4 feet and the car kind of lurched and would not continue to pull backwards. It wouldn't shift out of Reverse either. I shut it off and back on and was able to yank it out of reverse. I made it about 6 feet forward and it lurched clunked and stopped pulling forward. Several forward and back attempts were made and basically each time around 4-6' the car would make noise, lurch and refuse to budge further. I put it back in the air and check both rear wheels to see if by some chance the brakes were hanging. No. Went to spin one of the front wheels and encounted a large amount of resistance and kind of a popping like turn while rotating wheel either clockwise or counter. Also noted the opposite wheel also in the air did not rotate when turning one. My understandind on a standard diff if both wheels are free and you turn one, the other should rotate in opposite direction. Last note. When not running I can shift 1st thru 5th and reverse no prob. Does this sound like a prob with the diff, or more in the gears and shafts themselves? Hope this wasn't information overload, I just wanted to describe well for best chance at an answer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, with 22 views, I would think I might have had at least one nibble of insight. Oh well, I yanked the transaxle out this evening after dinner, I'll crack it open in the morning and see what's ailing it hopefully.

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
I guess we cant tell from your description, problem cant be very common.
Did you check your engine and transmission mounts ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick note. Opened the case today and find bottom of case lined with metal shavings. Cone bearings on the diff are deeply pitted and scarred. The gears appear ok for the most part except for the ring the larger shift fork rides in it looks hot spotted. I will post some pics if anyone is interested. So I guess knowing prices of replacements parts are going to be insanely expensive, any recommendations for used Transaxles that might have a 30 warranty or so?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.