Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all concerned....
We have a 95 Pathfinder, suddenly it died and we had it towed home, after some checking, there is no gas being pumped by the fuel pump to the filter in the engine compartment. Should I hear the pump priming when the key is turned?, is there some sort of safety option that would stop the pump from operating?, is there a wiring diagram that shows the pump wiring in the electrical system that I can view?, and the fuel pump relay, is there an easy way to test to see if the pump wiring is open or good from the relay on the fender? I know there alot of questions , but this is the first time working on our Pathfinder.
Thanks in advance for any info that you can supply to help me.

Larry

· Registered
79 Posts
The fuel pump should come on for a couple of seconds when first turning on the ignition. Then the fuel pump should be on constantly when starting or running the engine. There is a relay that needs to be fired by the ECU to turn on the fuel pump and that relay should be in the engine compartment.

Also confirm that the fuse for the fuel pump is not blown.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 2milehi,
I will check it out, the fuse, and get back to you, I was just wondering if there is a spot that I could meter to see if the pump winding is open or not. There dosen't seem to be any wiring schematic showing it in the Haynes book.

3,604 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator could also be faulty, or the fuel filter could be plugged.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regulator??

The first thing I did was to remove the filter to see if the gas would be pumped out of the gas line feeding the filter. Nothing, and while the filter was off, gas ran out of both ends of the filter as I handled it, so i am assuming the filter is clear and not plugged. Now the regulator, is it controled electrically or is it mechanically controlled? If that is the reg. past the filter, the gas isn't even getting to it. I have had problems with the fuel pump on my Chev Pick-up, and there is a connection from the relay to meter the pump itself, and was wondering if it is the same on the Pathfinder, but the schematic dosen't show the relay. I still haven't checked the fuse yet.

Larry

· Registered
79 Posts
Boy do I feel DUMB, it was the fuse that blew, now my next question, why did it blow, as now it runs fine, would you think there is a problem with the pump as the fuse did blow?
Good, you found the problem and corrected it. As for the fuse blowing, there could be an intermittent short to ground downstream of the fuse. Also if the fuel pump seized up, that could cause excessive draw and pop a fuse. The fuse itself could have been "thermally stressed" and was weakened and finally popped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.