Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what a private repair shop will charge for labor to replace an exhaust manifold and studs on a 95 Pathfinder?

·
Registered
84 Posts
try shopping around........ some places wont want to do it so they will charge a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
do you actually have broken stud(s) or is only the manifold cracked? I know from painful experience that removing broken studs can be <sarcasm> entertaining <\sarcasm> and the added labor would almost certainly increase your cost. Also, if you only intend to change the manifold can you get one from a junkyard in your area for cheap?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
do you actually have broken stud(s) or is only the manifold cracked? I know from painful experience that removing broken studs can be <sarcasm> entertaining <\sarcasm> and the added labor would almost certainly increase your cost. Also, if you only intend to change the manifold can you get one from a junkyard in your area for cheap?
Iron cast manifolds are repairable. In Burnaby, there's a place that fixed a cracked manifold for me. He didn't tell me specifics, all he said was they'll carve out the cracked area and fill it up with cast iron. Cost me about $50 for the work... or was it $150? They do engine rebuilds, repairs almost everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i know that the junkyard manifold for a friend's f-100 cost about 10 bucks at a local pick-a-part... not quite sure what one would cost for a pathy, but it might well be worth checking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stud repair

I've owned a Pathfinder for 8 years and am intimately aware of the broken stud issue with pathfinders. The labor will kill you so trust me on this. you have to pull the head (s) no matter what so thats the big cost. DO NOT FIX JUST THE ONE STUD THAT'S BROKEN. ALL six need to be helicoiled. If you don't do all six you'll just have to repair another one in the very near future and for the cost to pull a head you only want to pay once. Here is the procedure.
1. Buy a helicoil kit and six new studs from nissan.
2. Find a reputable shop that will drill and tap the helicoil kit properly. Preferably the drilling should be done on a bench drill - not by a hand drill. Insist the heads be tapped ONLY AS DEEP AS THE NEW THREADS Which is actually only about a half in deep.
3. DEC THE HEAD AND REPLACE WITH NEW HEADGASKET>

do both heads if you have the cash because again it will save you on labor and piece of mind> i"ve been through it twice in eight years myslef and the helicoils work better than new for a number of reasons> and to add piece of mind< porche helicoils their studs because they are more thermally resilient than just screwing in a steel stud into aluminum>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts