Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Nissan Pickup XE V6. I love this truck as it has been most reliable for the 6 years that I have owned it! And it has less than 90,000 miles!

Starting last summer, and again this summer, the cruise control and speedometer will sometimes stop working. It seems to start working again after I park the truck and start it a few hours later. So, I think that heat has something to do with it. Oh, I live in Phoenix AZ, the convection oven of the southwest. So, heat can be extreme here! I really don't want to pay Nissan megabucks to fix the problem, and would rather trouble shoot it myself! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
SunDog

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
same prob.

i own a '90 nissan pickup and the same sort of stuff happens to me, the tach works when it wants to, sometimes it will just start working while im driving, and others it will either just start right up with my truck or just not start at all. and while cruising down the interstate i look down at my speed and it is at 70 when i know im doing atleast 75, i too have looked into why this happens and have came up with nothing... its weird

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently found out that it is the speed sensor in my truck. When I have a problem, it is always four things: the speedometer, trip meter, odometer, and cruise control. I'm assuming that the speed sensor controls all of these. The odometer stops counting miles, which is good, because I actually have more miles on the truck that it says! The trip meter I don't care about. The cruise control I use a lot, so it is a pain to not have it all the time. And the speedometer is the biggest problem! If I don't know how fast I am going, I could get a ticket, and then try to explain to the knucklehead cop who doesn't believe anyone's story! What I have done is, when everything is working, I will coast at a given speed and see what my tachometer, which by the way always works, is reading. Sooooo...
In 4th gear at 2000 rpm, 40 mph.
In 5th gear at 2000 rmp, 50 mph.
In 5th gear at 2500 rpm, 60 - 65 mph.
In 5th gear at 3000 rmp, 70 - 75 mph.

Also, I figured out how to read the error code that is displayed on the instrument cluster and the computer box. After looking up the code in the chilton's manual, it turns out that most every other error code related to sensors and such I could buy the part for and replace myself. But for the speed sensor, the book says that it must be serviced by a nissan tech! And we all know that means a hefty bill!

I think I'll put up with the annoyance until I can afford to have the repair done!

Sorry for the long response, just wanted to offer as much info as possible. If you need help with the error codes, a chilton's or haynes is the place to go...

Thanks,
SunDog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts