Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 95 nissan hard body, 4wd king cab. And it seems my e brake sticks when i take it off and start driving. I hear a loud pop sound (sounds like coming from passenger side) but once it pops real quick everything is fine. Nothing leaking and e brake handle feels normal and operates normally. (Its btwn my seats). Any help would be nice, this is very aggravating. Thanks

·
Software Developer
875 Posts
There are a few parts to the e-brake, one being the brake shoe pads in the rear drums. You can remove the drum and inspect what is going on when someone pulls the e-brake to duplicate your problem. Often, just seeing what is going on makes it simple to repair.

If it is not in the rear drums, the cable could be binding up somewhere. Again, the quickest solution is to get a pair of eyes on it when the problem is happening. Crawl underneath while someone else pulls the e-brake to see if you can isolate where the issue is originating.

Last Fall, I had the actual T-bar inside the cab fail on me. The cable under the truck was pulling and releasing, but the tension on the T-bar was not. Nissan still sells those, so I bought a new one and replaced it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I traced the cable from the cab underneat the truck to the back but noting to really lube or grease ( just maybe where it comes from the cab floor on back some ), just followed it to the rear where it looks like it connects in the middle and to red cables go to each wheel. (Sorry im not handy guy or mechanic, about as complicated as i handle is oil changes and front brake jobs haha)

·
Software Developer
875 Posts
If it's beyond your skillset, it should be a simple fix that most brake shops should be able to handle.

Or you could search YouTube for how to work on rear brake drums. Almost all drum brakes are the same. You could see what tools you need so that you can get the drum off to look at the brake mechanism.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how to remove the drum cover and stuff so i may do that amd see if i can grease or lube anything in there when i get a chance (the weather is bitter cold and forecasting rain and snow next few days). Will it hurt or damage anything for time being until i get to it ?...it still works and stuff, everything else is normally like i said. (I knew i could leave it in gear...its a 5spd...but I forget and it pops the clutch when i start it haha im so use to using the ebrake)

·
Software Developer
875 Posts
Will it hurt or damage anything for time being until i get to it ?
LOL - that's hard to say, especially since we don't know what is causing it.

But, you can safely say that no matter what parts are bad now or go bad afterward, you can always replace them when it is time.

Typically, brake parts are cheap. It's the labor that adds up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know how to remove the drum cover and stuff so i may do that amd see if i can grease or lube anything in there when i get a chance (the weather is bitter cold and forecasting rain and snow next few days). Will it hurt or damage anything for time being until i get to it ?...it still works and stuff, everything else is normally like i said. (I knew i could leave it in gear...its a 5spd...but I forget and it pops the clutch when i start it haha im so use to using the ebrake)
UK,

Make sure that the EBrake isn't dragging cause if it is,, that can cause the Brake's to heat up and cause damage. If it get's hot enough it can also damage seal's.

Sometime's when it is Too Cold/Wet, it's best to bite the Bullet and take it to a garage for repair.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
550 Posts
I cant feel or tell/heat of any dragging. No sounds or anything getting hot that im aware of but thanks for the heads up. Ill b sure to look for that
UK,

It's probly releaseing, but maybe some rust or weak spring, just a guess. Wet will also cause the Brake's to not want to release.

My '13, after I wash the Truck and Wheel's, water/moisture get's on the Pad's/Disk and they'll stick, if I leave the Truck parked for a few day's before driveing. Sometime's I have to put in Drive and then Reverse to rock them loose. Then I alway's check for any dragging sound and make sure that the Truck Roll's good when in neutral.

Hot and/or Cold Weather is often when part's start to show problem's 1st.

Good Luck,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.