Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I wrecked my truck about two months ago needless to say I i’ve got an issue with my electrical whenever the key is not in the ignition I can tap the brakes and my dash light comes on and so does my headlights I’m trying to figure out exactly what is going on on the back of my alternator the mail plug that plugs into the back of the female on the alternator is busted so it’s wired directly to it now I was driving it for about a day and a half and all the sudden I started smelling something burning so I jumped out pulled the terminals off my battery and I looked down and my alternator and they were smoke coming out of the inside of the alternator now I looked at the wires that were connected to the back of the alternator everything was fine and where theMale plug is busted we wired directly to the back of the alternator there is no arc signs from the two wires going to the back of the alternator so whenever I hook the battery back up Smok starts coming from the inside of the alternator I’m trying to figure out what is going on before my truck catch is completely on fire can you please help? It’s a 95 and it’s only got 71,000 original miles on it I’ve had it since it had 52,000 original miles I don’t wanna lose it if you could just help me step by step figure this out I would appreciate it thank you. Also I forgot to mention the battery busted whenever I wrecked it and it got battery acid all over all the wires and so there’s a lot of corrosion could it be something that may the issue?

·
Software Developer
720 Posts
Was the damage from the wreck was to the front of the truck? You never stated.

If the battery blew, chances are you also blew the fusible links. See this post on information:

The taillights are set up with 12V DC power running to them all the time. Turning on the lights is accomplished by providing a path to Ground. If headlights or instrument cluster lights come on when the brake lights come on, then someone has spliced ground wires together.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,301 Posts
If your alternator is smoking, either something is shorted, possibly the alternator. Headlights coming on when you depress the brake pedal is also an indication of a short. Since it was in an accident, you may want to inspect the harness carefully for damage.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank y’all I’m still looking through the harness. I just installed a red top optima battery also and a new 60 amp alternator. I was curious if that would be ok to run with a system at about 600 watts? Just figured I would ask while I’m here.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thank y’all I’m still looking through the harness. I just installed a red top optima battery also and a new 60 amp alternator. I was curious if that would be ok to run with a system at about 600 watts? Just figured I would ask while I’m here.
600W at 14V is 43A, and that's without figuring any losses. Tack on head and parking lights and either your 60A alternator is screaming or your battery is drawing down. No, you need a bigger alternator to support that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts