Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stated truck with 147,000 miles. I decided to change the gearoil on front & rear diffs and also change the oil in the manual trans. I had it in the shop to replace the center bearing unit and thought it would be a good time to do this. The mechanic wondered why I was changing the oil after I picked it up (stated the oil looked fine and didn't need changing). I just figured it would be a good idea with this many miles - until I got with the bill. Near $200 for the oil changes (not including the center bearing replacement). Wow. Anyway, the bill indicates they used synthetic gearoil. Does this all sound reasonable to anyone, besides me? Also, what type of gearoil is recommended for the manual trans and the front and rear diffs.? Thanks.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
ne time u have some one do a job for you ..they are going to want money..

synthetic oil is good stuff but does cost more..

gl4 or gl5 for trans the book calls for 4 but most guys like the 5 for trans.

diff gl5
transfer case dextron 11 atf

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ne time u have some one do a job for you ..they are going to want money..

synthetic oil is good stuff but does cost more..

gl4 or gl5 for trans the book calls for 4 but most guys like the 5 for trans.

diff gl5
transfer case dextron 11 atf
Yeah, I know I should have done it myself as far as the oil change (didn't think it would be that expensive). The center bearing replacement looked a little to tough a job to do. Anyway, I was a little concerned with the GL-4 and GL-5 issues for the manual trans (e.g., have read that GL-5 is not good for the manual trans).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I called the shop, and they said that they used Valvoline 80-W-90 synthetic GL-5 for the tranny. Is that ok?
Well, I called a local Nissan and they said 80W-90 trans oil GL-5 is fine in the '95 trans. They wouldn't recommend synthetic with the number of miles I have. I'm about to lose my mind. I guess the question goes back to the shop put in Valvoline 80w-90 synthetic in the trans, supposedly. Will this eat away at the soft metals in the tranny? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, can anyone answer the GL-5 versus GL-4 question? I did a little research and apparently Valvoline synthetic gear oil 80W-90 (it is not GL-4) passed tests that indicate it would not eat yellow metals. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts